Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:53 PM   #1

Does anyone use a long range wireless remote release? Which kind?

I noticed Adorama has a store branded one for $85 with free shipping: 100 feet, omni directional etc: http://www.adorama.com/CZDRDPX.html
No idea if it is any good thou.

On the same topic: anyone taking time lapse shots? With what?

Now that the spring should be here any month now (dang the snow outside:-)), I got some ideas of using my K10D with Sigma 10-20mm ultrawide, myself on the bike, on some trails (if I tell you more you'd think I went nuts:-) ).

Any help much appreciated.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:27 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I have not had any experience with this, but it looks to be better than the Pentax Wireless Remote which (I think) can only be used if it is pointed at the front of the camera (at the receiver). If this is omni directional, then it definetely more functional. At the present time, I use the Pentax wired remote. Since the length of it is only 18 inches, I have connected it through a spiral extension cord (from Radioshack) used for cell phone jacks. It gives me plenty of reach and works flawlessley.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:07 PM   #3

An extender to the remote cable is definitely a good idea. Like when taking shots like the one below (K10D, Sigma 10-20mm @ 14mm, F5.6) I took on Friday (different season than today). I mounted the camera on the bike using a Bogen super clamp and Magic Arm. The cable release would only reach the seat from which I taped it to. I would then reach with one hand, press the button and have 2 seconds to get my act straight. Needless to say that this may not be good for my health:-) Or dogs.

The other thing I want to try is to set the camera on a tripod on the trails and get some cool low-angle motion shots. That will mean wireless, omni directional, hiding the transmitter in my palm or on handle. The Pentax IR remote won't cut it.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:06 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I am intrigued by your intended usage--it should produce some interesting perspectives. Any concern about damage to your camera from the boucing around while attached to your bike? In any event, do post some of the results.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:14 AM   #5
Administrator

Here's a less expensive unit you may want to look at. I have no experience with it. But this Hong Kong based vendor has a good reputation.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...278&page=3

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:30 AM   #6

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Any concern about damage to your camera from the boucing around while attached to your bike? In any event, do post some of the results.

Jay
There is always the chance I will bump into something or take a fall. I won't try anything crazy with camera attached. The hardware seems quite strong and heavy.
My only concern is when attaching the FGZ 540 flash on the camera (with Sto-fen diffuser). The plastic shoe mount ain't gonna last long.

My main problem right now is paying attention: I get tempted to change settings/fiddle while riding and the fire hydrants around here don't move out of the way:-)

I manage to hit the lens hood with my foot a couple of times already: still intact.
Too bad the lens is not sealed.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:32 AM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Here's a less expensive unit you may want to look at. I have no experience with it. But this Hong Kong based vendor has a good reputation.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...278&page=3
Thanks, Jim. Looks like an option. I will do some research into it.