Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:46 AM   #1

Continuing my Saturdayquest for wildflowers(after the dew drops and the birds), I decided to explore some textures, too. So I first headed down the old Ridge Route to the location of the Tumble Inn.

For those who aren't familiar with California, there's a mountain range that separates the state into two parts north and south (there's more mountain ranges than that in the state). This mountain range was a problem for travelers until they built a road over it. At the time it was considered quite an engineering feat, and it was an arduous drive to get over the road and several inns and garages were built along the way. The route followed a ridge line and had thousands of curves on it - a narrow road with steep drops along one side. The route was later abandoned in favor of a route similar to where Interstate 5 now cuts through, much lower down, and the businesses along the original route were abandoned and torn down. That original route is still there, thoughpart of it washed out two years ago and they haven't yet re-opened it all the way. You can still see some building remains along the way - this was the Tumble Inn, known for its incredible views.

I love the old stone retaining walls.

Then I went up Lieber Mountain Road, and found a more modern object that is full of texture.

I'm going to change my monthly challenge picture to one of this series. I had great fun trying to find interesting ways of expressing texture.

And I can't really make up my mind which ones to not include. I can't decide if I like this one better than the one above - it's the same thing, but taken differently. I like them both (though they lose some of the orange brilliance when posted here - it's going to change which one I choose for the challenge).

It's been used as a target:

This was my second choice for the challenge, and I might change to it if the other one doesn't retain its pretty orange color when I post it.

Finally - the fellow I posted initially (different shot). Our desert lizards aren't colorful, but they do have lots of texture.

This one isn't so much about texture, but I thought it was cute anyway.

And the day's photo journey continues on...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:51 AM   #2

These are very nice Harriet. I know what you mean about losing color when you post from your mind's eye saw. It's frustrating.

I also remember the "Ridge Route" and "Gravevine". Up until 1967 we lived in Huntington Park/Lynwood. We then moved to Visalia. I remember being scared to go over the mountain range because we were pulling a trailer that had been jackknifing when we first left the house. Had to go back home and so my parents could repack the trailer. After that every time we wanted to go back to L.A. to visit the grandparents and cousins I fretted for days going over that road. We had gone over the road numerous times before 1967 to go camping and I never did like that trip. Was always glad when I could see the fields of the south Bakersfield.

I also remember many a time as a teen driving that road and having to stop at the top of the first hill between Bakersfield and L.A. to let the car cool down. My lessons on radiators were well learned on that road. And, we always stopped at Gorman on the way to and from to make a potty stop and sometimes to get gas.

I wish I'd had the time to stop and see the wonderful scenery you post sometimes. My family still lives in Bakersfield and sometimes we land in Burbank when we visit. So, still do travel the road periodically.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:20 PM   #3

You found some very nice textures. I think I like the stone walls the best and thanks for the bit of history thrown in. It sounds like a neat road to travel now.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4

All very nice, that second one is special and off course the wildlife always are.
I think your having to much fun with that camera :-)

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5

Patty - You do have to admit the road has changed significantly now. Instead of a steep double lane road that's difficult to drive (or the original barely two lane wide concrete road on the top of the ridge), the current road is 4 lanes in each direction, well designed, and many drive it at 80 mph!

Tim - thanks for the compliment on the stone wall pictures. The second one was the one I liked the best, and I've been there twice to take pictures. I just haven't found the right angle/view to capture the feeling of the place - the echo of days gone by. So no one likes my wreck? I guess I like them because of the colors. I thought they were fun and interesting, but it's possible that it's a matter of "you had to be there to get it" and I've misjudged them.

Rodney - you are right, I'm having way too much fun with the new camera, like you with that macro lens of yours!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:43 AM   #6

I would not say that no one likes your wreck, you have some great texture shots there. My favorite shot out of the set was simply the first one. For the series a wider angle shot of the wreck might have been best, but there is nothing wrong with any of the shots you posted.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:56 AM   #7

I also took a number of wider angle shots of the wreck, and one where I liked the idea, but the picture didn't work (might try it differently some time). While I really liked the texture closeups of the wreck, its not a particularly pretty or interesting object when viewed in its entirety. Whenever I've taken the whole thing in its surroundings, I've found it too jarring and a mar on an otherwise beautiful location.