Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1

....because I'm not very good at it.

I thought this one came out pretty good though. I used the "macro" setting on my A35-70/3.5-4.5 zoom. I love this lens, which explains why it's almost always on the camera when I leave the house.

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2

I like it very much. Perhaps just a tad underexposed and could benefit from a skosh of smart sharpening/unsharp mask?
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3

I always find it quite hard to take photos of "single-colored" flowers, it's not easy to bring out the very fine details. Maybe some curves adjustment could help here, simple histogram works won't be enough I guess. Sharpening/refocus shouldn't be the problem, I think.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:12 PM   #4

Thkn, I didn't mean to imply that the focus was off. Simply, that a little sharpening could bring out more detail. Of course, all is in the eye of the beholder...

I'd like to retract my statement that the image is underexposed. the more I look at it, the more I like the exposure just as it is.

Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:34 PM   #5

I try not to do too much PP to my images, only because I tend to be a little heavy-handed. I did do just the slightest bit of sharpening, but I like what you did.....it looks much more crisp than the original. I'll keep that in mind...
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:40 PM   #6

You and me both! Sometimes I really overdo it, and I am working on reining myself in. On your photo I used Photoshop's "Smart Sharpen" function and set the amount to 80% and radius to 0.6 pixels.

BTW, I think it's awesome that I couldn't see any color clipping. As thkn pointed out, it's difficult to photograph one-color flowers.

maxwell1295 wrote:
Quote:
I try not to do too much PP to my images, only because I tend to be a little heavy-handed. I did do just the slightest bit of sharpening, but I like what you did.....it looks much more crisp than the original. I'll keep that in mind...
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:59 PM   #7

brokenbokeh wrote:
Quote:
Thkn, I didn't mean to imply that the focus was off. Simply, that a little sharpening could bring out more detail. Of course, all is in the eye of the beholder...

I'd like to retract my statement that the image is underexposed. the more I look at it, the more I like the exposure just as it is.
I haven't said that focus is off, either , I just distinguish between classic sharpening (i.e. raising contrast with USM) and refocussing (i.e. deconvolution) /shrug --> that's all.

Best regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:18 PM   #8

I like the composition on this. Good job. I hope you don't mind but I adjusted the levels on it. I'll remove it if you want. Just let me know.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:40 PM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I like the composition on this. Good job. I hope you don't mind but I adjusted the levels on it. I'll remove it if you want. Just let me know.

Patty
No problem at all......that looks great. I guess I'd better work on my PP skills. That's something I know I don't have a handle on just yet.