Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:52 PM   #1

I've been thinking of what to say about my current favorite lens (it changes often, usually to whichever is the newest). Recently it's been the DA 12-24. I've discovered that a really wide lens is great fun and can be used very creatively. It can change perspective, giving a totally different view of the world.

I've also been thinking of doing a thread with some of my recent architecture pictures. I've been playing around with it and have some pictures I've really liked. It's a topic I still have much to learn about, and turned out to be more challenging than I had expected (but that's what I've found each time I've tried a new area).

What finally led me to actually do something about it was shipping off the K10. As I've said in previous threads, I don't think the K10 is a horrible camera at all, as I hope to show with this set.

It seemed to me when I first got it was that it didn't really resolve all that much more than the K100 - it just made the same things a bit bigger (I'm no techie, I don'tdo lab tests, I don't have the technical terms to explain it, and this is simply my opinion). I didn't see all that much more detail in my pictures, and often said that the image quality between the two cameras was very similar (which isn't a bad thing, since I really love the K100). However, it seems to me that the K20 offers more detail, not just make the same detail bigger. That's one of the biggest differences, along with the way the camera handles color or tone - can't decide which it is. Somehow the creams look more like cream on the K20 pictures. It isn't a very big difference, but I really like it. Many people won't notice much difference, especially if they don't crop their shots extensively.

In any case, here are pictures showing why I like the DA 12-24 lens, what I've experimented recently with architecture and a farewell to the K10.

Kerckhoff tower:

Kerckhoff entrance:

Tile on Kinsey:

Can you guess which department is in this building?

I think of order, everything in its place:

Royce through a polarizer:

Modern Architecture - this is my favorite picture of the series and is superior to the ones I took Friday with the K20. The number of lights that were on really enhanced this picture. I was really disappointed when I went over here Friday with the K20 and it wasn't half as well lit.

Where all of the above pictures were taken:

This last one isn't far from the campus - its at the corner by the VA cemetary. It shows how much perspective change you can create with the DA 12-24.

As you can see, the lens can be used in a number of different ways, all of them interesting.

All of these pictures are from this year - some from February, some more recent. All taken with the K10. So those of you whorecently purchased a K10 - don't get envious of us K20 owners, the K10 is still a really good camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:56 PM   #2

Those are very nice and very sharp, but I still think there is more contrast in the K10D images than there is with the K20D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:10 PM   #3

Owning a *istDS and looking to upgrade, I tried out the both the K100 Super & K10, the one thing that made the K10 stand out was just how responsive it was & how fast it focused.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:41 PM   #4

I must say that the K10D is capable of some pretty impressive results, these images have impact. A fitting farewell as the K20D becomes your new companion.

Ode to the K10D!

We choose our tools,
and capturefleeting glimpses of our world.
The art is a part of the artist, but...
without the box of metal glass and plastic,
the image lingers but a moment in one mind.

A well used tool, while often like a faithful friend,
the teddy bear we slept with as a child,
will stay, a happy memory
as we move on to new tools,
and perhaps new heights.

Farewell but not goodbye.

Hey, we all can wax poetic now and then.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:54 PM   #5

Harriet, these are all very nice. I love architechtural shots.

Ira, that was a very moving poem. You are much more the poet than I.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:08 PM   #6

These do make me proud of my K10D Harriet....I look forward to all you guys and gals getting a new K30D....Then I can afford a K20D as the prices will drop rapidly! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:22 PM   #7

These are very well done, Harriet. Excellent color and perspectives. You get great results with the 12-24.

Dennis

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:51 PM   #8

Lovely shots, I love the lighting in the second one especially.

The second last one, a lonely seat, what stories it could tell, maybe a sad farewell to a K10.

Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:49 PM   #9

Ira - I love your poem! It's so appropriate!

Allof these pictures were shot in raw, converted in Lightroom with changes made in the contrast curve to my taste (I like my pictures with a fair amount of contrast for the most part), also correcting any clipping in the highlights (as much as possible). I tend to let the shadows fall where they may and don't worry about clipping on the dark side of the histogram. Then I export them as a tiff file to CS2 where I correct anything that bothers me (like dust spots). I should clone out the bit of building in the very upper left corner of the modern architecture shot, but haven't bothered. If they were at higher ISOs and/or pushed enough to introduce extra noise, I run them through Neat Image, then resize using bicubic sharper. If I think they aren't sharp enough (almost always with the K10)I'll add some smart sharpen and then a contrast USM (an adaption of Ben's method). If it looks over-sharpened, I'll go back and apply the sharpening before I resize it - that sometimes gets a sharp enough picture without going too far. I have an action saved with my most common amounts for the smart sharpen/USM and for resizing. I then save the finalpicture as a jpg. Iback-up the raw file onto DVDs, along with the jpgs. I used to throw out the tiff files until I got a large external hard drive. I'll probably startdeleting the oldest ones as it fills up, or else I might back them up toDVD also (they aren't all that expensive now).

I haven't been shooting raw with the K20, only jpg- up until this evening I only had a 2 GBcard (just bought a 4 GB SDHC card with its ownmicro reader. Seems to work well). I've also heard thatPentax did somethingstrange with their DNG files and that Lightroom reads some color wrong. Ihaven't tried it yet, so I don't know how true it is, and it's made me not all that eager to try it out (and I've been very happy with the jpg quality). I know I could use PhotoLab, but I found it awkward to use, especially after I got Lightroom. Hopefully Adobe will re-release the version of Lightroom that recognizes the K20 (they pulled it because it had some errors in it).

I've thought that the jpgs straight out of the camera were very good, and I've done almost no processing to the ones I've posted, other than to crop and resize (and run the couple of ISO 3200 and 6400 test photos through Neat Image). I'm sure that when I start shooting raw and/or go back to using Lightroom as my initial review/processing program, I'll get just as contrasty a photo as I did from the K10 (since mine were always processed to my liking, rarely straight out of the camera).

You can tell it's late for me, I've run on so much. I don't pretend to be an expert at post processing, so take what I've written with that in mind.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:39 AM   #10

Harriet,

Your WA lens seems to be working out quite well. I recall you have been searching for a WA lens - not a fishy one though. Your F4 shots shows it all at

Your search is over?

This is really outstanding for iso1600 indeed. Maybe there are area that were well lit for iso1600. It is possible that the same pict may have more noise at iso800 if underexposed.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Can you guess which department is in this building?

I recall similar mural was in Princeton's Maths Dept.

Quote:

Modern Architecture - this is my favorite picture of the series and is superior to the ones I took Friday with the K20.* The number of lights that were on really enhanced this picture.* I was really disappointed when I went over here Friday with the K20 and it wasn't half as well lit.
http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p407627782-4.jpg
Tell me about it. Timing does count. Geez you guys have been singing the praise for K20D with pages and pages of great shots. And this is done in a financially vulnerable time of me after purchasing a couple of lenses. :?:

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote