Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the compliments -

Kjell - I liked the last one best of the set. I took 2 others from the same spot and same framing, only with larger apertures. The first one with the smallest aperture was all right - I liked the very OOF parts, but the DOF was just too small to make it my pick. The one that was stopped down more wasn't good at all - the OOF parts weren't pretty - that in-between stage doesn't work. This had the greatest DOF and I had expected to not like it as well, but it turned out to be the best. A good reason to experiment when taking pictures, sometimes the ones you like are the ones that you think won't work.

It is a fairly arid area (like it's 22% humidity at the house right now), water is always a problem and rainfall varies wildly from year to year. It's not desert, more a transition zone. The Gorman Hills were burned a year or two ago, while Lieber Mountain (the part I was visiting) hasn't been burned in a long time (more than 10 years as far as I know).

I was using the same lenses I've been using for a year - I ended up using the Viv 105 and the DA*50-135 mostly, with some A*300 bird pictures.

Post processing was different - I was using the default jpg bright settings, while I usually used raw with the K100 and K10. I really like the way Pentax tweaked the bright mode, took a couple of pictures in dng and one in pef, but I'm not sure I like them as well as I do the jpg. They are more work, definitely, but raw allows more adjustment when things go wrong. I'm now shooting raw+, at least for a while, and looking at both. I did turn down the saturation on the bright mode, not sure I like it as well, but faces taken in jpg bright need to have the saturation lower when looking at them on the monitor. They'd probably be good when printed, I haven't tried that yet.

- Harriet
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:05 PM   #12

Beautiful photos Harriet. I like the last one and I can see why you would have played with different settings and angles for that shot.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:55 PM   #13

Wow! That is it, nothing else needs to be said, just wow.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:15 AM   #14

Vibrant, joyful shots. The last photo is especially intriguing...
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:31 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
What wonderful environments! Photographically I think the two last are outstanding. I've been looking at them over and over, and they get better everytime Ilook. The DOF in the last one is perfect, enough but not too deep.

Kjell
I love the last shot with the tree. I agree with Kjell regarding the DOF. Superb!
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:43 PM   #16

Nice, Harriet. Wet winters always bring out spectacular displays of wildflowers herein Southern California.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:55 PM   #17

Thanks for the compliments - this is a wonderful time to live in California, it's been a good year. Not the best, but certainly much better than it's been recently.

Penolta - The California central coast should be pretty spectacular this year - is it worth a drive up Hwy 1 yet? I'm going to be going to Monterey for Memorial Day weekend, and could be talked into driving that way very easily, or even just puttering up that way some other weekend.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:30 AM   #18

i really like wildflowers (much more than garden floiwers)

and you are indeed having a wonderful display
and you made the most of it with these great photos
i cant say i can pick a favourite, i like them all

Rodney, the wildflowers over here are a bit few and far between at the moment
its Autumn sigh
so its a while till they are out in abundance again

if any one is interested the best time of year to come for the flowers is September - October, although there are flowers all year round, even mid winter
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:08 AM   #19

This is probably a dumb question - but do you folks "down under" have much for fall color? There isn't all that much around where I am (except for people's gardens where they've planted non-native deciduoustrees) and I was wondering if (in general) your autumns were more like ours or if you were lucky enough to have awesome displays like New England has?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:47 AM   #20

Off the top of my head I would have to say around here there are some pockets, but not hillsides of Autumn colour. We are on the east coast of Port Phillip Bay. Go to your google map of Melbourne and work your way clockwise around the bay to about 4 o'clock.
A few years ago my wife and I passed through LA, we visited the JPGetty Museum up in the hills and I thought how similar the vegetation was to us here.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote