Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:21 AM   #1

As I've mentioned in other threads, Saturday I took the K20 out to look for wildflowers. As I've posted in other threads, I found a number of things. I did actually find the wildflowers, so thought I would share a few here. I had a hard time deciding which ones to post, since I had a number of them that came out very well. The ones I chose are not necessarily the best ones I took, but these are ones I liked, and I thought offered an insight into this year's wildflower displays.

First sign of wildflowers on the Gorman Hills:

Lots of lupine around (I like this one because of the pastel colors -isn't this what they call "high-key" or do I have that concept wrong? I've never really sorted out that one).

This was about the only white flower I saw all day, and I thought it came out rather well. I spot metered off the white, and it was fairly underexposed. I used levels in CS2 to push it.

This is much more typical of our wildflower displays - a wild mix of colors on a hillside.

What California wildflower set is complete without a close up of the state flower? The orange is really brilliant.

They are out in profusion this year:

This is my favorite of the series. It's actually one of three pictures I took with different apertures. They all came out well and would make a good example of how aperture affects depth of field, but I'll only post this one for now.

I discovered that I took a number of tree pictures, too, that came out well. However, I'll save those for another time perhaps. As you can see, the K20 is a very capable camera and I am having a blast.

For those in California, the first picture was taken near Gorman, and all of the rest of them were taken on Lieber Mountain - a forest service dirt road that is off of the old Ridge Route.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Beautiful images, Harriet. I REALLY like #5.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:51 AM   #3

I was pleased with how that poppy came out, butthen, Ifind poppies very satisfying to photograph in general. It was just one of those magical days Saturday, where everything came together - beautiful weather (if it hadn't been so windy), pretty scenery of all kinds and a good camera. What more can you ask for, other htan more time to enjoy such conditions?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4

Beautiful colours, so pretty , reminds me of my holiday in Western Australia, it's quite famous for their wild flowers, Thank You.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5

Those are beautiful pictures Harriet, I as well liked the poppy shot the best.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:13 AM   #6

Thank you both for the compliments. Some day I hope to visit your country, Rodney, it has such interesting plants and animals. Well, so does Florida, now that I think about it - another spot in the world I want to visit.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:33 AM   #7

What wonderful environments! Photographically I think the two last are outstanding. I've been looking at them over and over, and they get better everytime Ilook. The DOF in the last one is perfect, enough but not too deep.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:58 AM   #8

Great shots Harriet.

I relly like No2 the pastel colours really pop out of the photo.

I also like the yellow flower - such a hard colour not to blow completely.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:40 AM   #9

Harriet these are spectacular, brilliant colour, crisp, clear, just fantastic.

Can I assume same lens' same type of pp, the main difference is the K20??

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:34 AM   #10

Outstanding! Would it be correct to assume that this is an arid climate? How long do they stay in bloom?

Thanks for posting.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote