Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1

I decided to use the Bigma lens with my K10D in all Fred Mode today(all Auto) and see how it would cope. Heavy overcast with light rain. Not good conditions for this lens..It likes lots of sunlight...The lens-Camera combination does a pretty good job of coping with the conditions and using all Auto PP worked quite well. The first is the original without PP. I just resized it for posting. The second I used DCE Tools Auto enhance then CS3's Auto levels, Auto Contrast, Auto color and the Neat Images Auto profile for noise reduction..A lot of one button fixes! Not bad in my opinion...LOL Shot at these settings... Shot from 30-40 feet distance.

Exposure Time = 1/180"
F Number = F6.7
ISO Speed Ratings = 400

What do you think?

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2

I like the 1st pic better. Could you post a crop similar to the 2nd, but w/o the PP?

Reds in the 2nd look over-saturated to me, and image detail too smeared. Personally, I prefer some noise to missing detail.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with the noise profile of the K10D, but maybe shoot these kinds of shots at ISO 800? Although this shot seems faily sharp

Nice to get a shot of the cardinal "in the wild", as opposed to a shmoe like me who is using a bird feeder...

-BB

brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3

brokenbokeh wrote:
Quote:
I like the 1st pic better. Could you post a crop similar to the 2nd, but w/o the PP?

Reds in the 2nd look over-saturated to me, and image detail too smeared. Personally, I prefer some noise to missing detail.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with the noise profile of the K10D, but maybe shoot these kinds of shots at ISO 800? Although this shot seems faily sharp

Nice to get a shot of the cardinal "in the wild", as opposed to a shmoe like me who is using a bird feeder...

-BB

Here is a crop un touched except to resize. As for the Schmoe that are me!! I have a feeder set up below to attract them but try shooting them on the branches for that in the wild look!

Dawg

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:23 PM   #4

Pah. :?

I like your photos but I just hate how hard it is to post-process these little birds, darnit!!!

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH. Will start over after dinner, grrrrr.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:41 PM   #5

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Pah. :?

I like your photos but I just hate how hard it is to post-process these little birds, darnit!!!

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH. Will start over after dinner, grrrrr.
The reds and yellows are hard to get detail and contrast as you can over brighten them and lose the detail. Over sharpening is another thing to avoid...I did that with the cropped version as you can see by looking at the right side of the bird as it faces you.

Dawg
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:24 PM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The reds and yellows are hard to get detail and contrast as you can over brighten them and lose the detail. Over sharpening is another thing to avoid...I did that with the cropped version as you can see by looking at the right side of the bird as it faces you.

Dawg
Yeah, digital cams have always (as far as I know) had problems with red, and I think that the internal jpeg processing also boosts red because there is a perception that the "average" digicam consumer prefers the boost.

When I have a strongly red subject - such as a male cardinal - I turn down the red in ACR (since I shoot RAW).

Dawg, I'm one of those people who over-sharpen! I'm trying to break the habit...:angry:
Attached Images

brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:28 PM   #7

brokenbokeh wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg
Yeah, digital cams have always (as far as I know) had problems with red, and I think that the internal jpeg processing also boosts red because there is a perception that the "average" digicam consumer prefers the boost.

When I have a strongly red subject - such as a male cardinal - I turn down the red in ACR (since I shoot RAW).

Dawg, I'm one of those people who over-sharpen! I'm trying to break the habit...:angry:
From what I've seen you post so far you've done a good job breaking that habit! LOL That's a nice 'un!!

Dawg