Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:17 PM   #1

I went out today and took some comparison shots. I'm horrible with true "comparison" shots - I always forget some setting so they are never exactly the same. So I gave up doing that and just take snaps, leaving things pretty much to the cameras. Today I forgot that the K100 has 200 as its lowest ISO, so the aperture/shutter speeds are different (I used P mode and AWB, rather than trying to think about changing stuff around). That meant that DOF was different, which meant that if the focus points were slightly different it was harder to tell if the differences were focus/DOF or differences in cameras.

I'm only going to post only 4 pictures, one from each combination. I took several different objects and all of them showed similar differences. I admit that these are pretty boring pictures - it's a small flower/pod from a tree that's lying on some grass. These are all 100% crops, NOT full frame, so the size of the pod is significantly different (6 mp vs. 14 mp - the pod is the same size when viewed full frame). All were taken PEF and converted at Lightroom's default settings - I did nopost processing other than to crop.

The first thing that was most obvious was the difference in white balance and saturation. As far as white balance, in this case, the K20 was closer to what it looked like. I think the K20's saturation is not objectionable, butI sometimes find it a bit over-the-top. I've set it to a -2, but that would only affects jpg pictures.

The cameras meter differently, and I do think the K20 has a bit less dynamic range (this was not done in the extended dynamic setting, I'll try that next time). But that could be more the differences in metering.

Here's the K100 with my old kit lens. I've always been quitehappy with this lens, I kept it when I sold the DS, and had not felt any particular need to upgrade it, using it on both the K100 and K10.

Remember, these are 100% crops. It's a bit soft, but doesn't look bad at all when viewed full frame.

Now here is the K20 with the same lens:

The color is truer in the K20's picture, and it is somewhat sharper. Not that much sharper, but a bit.

Now here is the K100 with the DA*50-135:

If you ask me, it's not all that much better than the kit lens, and its overexposed. Makesyou wonder what the big deal is about this lens, right? Why would anyone pay such a premium for it when it looks about the same as the very inexpensive kit lens.

Then you have the K20 with the DA50-135:

I got the same results with other pictures - the K100 doesn't show the DA50-135 off very well at all, while the kit lens doesn't show off the K20's extra resolution and ability to capture more detail. My conclusion is that to get the most from the K20, you need good glass. And my old kit lens just doesn't cut it on the K20.

Remember, these are 100% crops, not full frame/resized. And they have had no post processing at all, other than whatever it is that Lightroom does by default.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Ok, I saving as quick as I can for the K20D :-)
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:04 AM   #3

Interesting comparison, Harriet. I have sent my K20 in for exchange. The little bit of shooting I got to do with it would lead me to agree with your conclusions regarding its richness and detail. I did not try the kit lens on the K20. When I get it back, I'll try to do a very similar comparison with the K10 v. K20 since I have the same combination of lenses as you.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:39 AM   #4

Thanks Harriet for the comparison shots!

Yesterday I went to the big city and looked at a K20D and played with it a bit, although I was already late for an appointment, so time was short.

The K10D with a Tamron Zoom at the store was lightning fast at focusing, even in fairly low light which I found to be surprising. I then put my FA*28-80 lens off my DS on the K20D and I was even more surprised when it was about half as fast to focus, even in good light. Faster than the DS but not great with my FA* lens.

I then checked the images in the camera on their card using the LCD on the K20D and the
Tamron images were OK but not great. The images with the FA* were extremely sharp no matter how much I enlarged them.

So what I found out in about five minutes was the IQ of the K20D is amazing, but the focus speed is not much better than it was with my K10D, at least with my FA* lenses.

FWIW the same FA* lens on my MZ-S film camrea is faster to focus than the Tamron was on the K20D in the shop, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the lens focus system.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5

The comparison would be better if the composition of each of the shots was the same.

I would expect the K20 to out perform the K100 simply because it's capable of capturing more detail but it would be useful to see how the 6M K100 faired by showing them side by side.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:50 PM   #6

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
The comparison would be better if the composition of each of the shots was the same.

I would expect the K20 to out perform the K100 simply because it's capable of capturing more detail but it would be useful to see how the 6M K100 faired by showing them side by side.
Actually, the composition of each shot was the same - I stood at the same place and used the same focal length with each lens. The difference in size is that these are 100% crops, and the K20 is capable of capturing a lot more detail - assuming that the lens is able to give it. I thought that the differences between the two cameraswhen I used the kit lens was very small - if this were my only lens Idon't think the K20 wouldoffer much more than the K100 other than size. Tonight I'll add full-frame of the two taken with the DA50-135.

Tom - The AF on theK20 seems to be better than the K100, but not always faster (and never slower). This morning I wandered around in the pre-dawn/early first light and found the K20 would focus where the K100 would not. I didn't bother switching lenses around between cameras as Iwas more interested in the noise factor (I had the DA 12-24 on the K20 and the kitlens on the K100). The K20 seems to me to be more able than either my K100 (which I've never been unhappy with) and very much more able thanmy particular K10 (whichseemed to have AFtrouble). I think that's why it seems to be faster - it doesn't hunt as much.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7

Here's the full frame picture, resized only.

K100, DA 50-135:

Here's the K20 with the same lens. Not exactly the most exciting pictures in the world, are they? You can't tell all that much looking at them resized this small.

It's when you look at larger versions that you start to see the differences.