Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:50 AM   #11

Harriet, Jack and Roy, thanks for the comments. I am glad you got to see this beautiful land. With the cost of the Euro these days its not too cheap, but I am sure glad I made the trip!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:35 PM   #12

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
This first one is Hohenschwangau taken from Neuschwanstein. Neuschwanstein was built by King Ludwig II, but he grew up in the castle you see here.
Was that "Mad King Ludwig"? If so,his choice of location looks pretty sane too me!

Beautiful pictures of a picturesque country.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:20 AM   #13

Yes, he was known as the Mad King. But apparently he wasn't all that mad, just very eccentric. It seems he was socially inept, which is not a good thing for a king! Here is a shot of his castle which was designed by a theater set designer. I think Disney used it as a model for his Cinderella's castle. The best shots of it are taken from the other side, but it is quite a trek up that mountain to get to where you have that view.

Glenn
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:44 AM   #14

Thanks for bringing back some very fond memories. I lived in Germany from 1976-1979, and again from 1983-1988 (civilian working for the Army), and I lived in Heidelberg both tours. It was really interesting to see the pictures of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau again.

During our next to last summer vacation before our rotation stateside, my family and I were standing in line to visit Hohenschwangau and the lines were long and looped back on each other (like the lines at amusement parks), and as the lines were moving I saw a guy coming toward me that looked very familiar, but I couldn't place him -- he was looking at me also like he knew me. We talked and found out that we grew up a couple of blocks from each other! :shock: He was in the Army (stationed at Kaiserlautern) and his mom was visiting him, and she knew my mom, and said she would see my mom when she went home and tell her that she ran intous at the castle. My mom had visited us the previous summer. Wow, what a small world!!
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:29 PM   #15

An even smaller world, tsquare - my tour in Germanyoverlapped yours (1978 - 81).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:34 PM   #16

tsquare and Harriet,Glad these photos brought back some good memories. It is a beautful place and we have found in our last 11 years in Germany, that it is full of beautiful people. Some told us before we came that the Germans could be stand offish, but we have found them warm and friendly. If anyone else wants a great place to visit, this is it. But you might want to wait until the $$ strengthens a bit!

Glenn