Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:56 PM   #1

I mentioned in another thread that I had discovered, somewhat by accident, that you can change the ISOSensitivity steps to 1/2 or 1/3 steps on the K10D. In looking this up in the manual, I feel that it's not explained very well. The topic is touched upon on page 33 under the Custom Settings Menu options, page 140 under the ISO options and page 162 under EV options.

Under the ISO options, all it states is that you can "lock the ISO senstivity adjustment to increments of 1 EV or to coordintate it with the EV Steps in the Custom Setting menu", which is a little vague. What this is really saying is that the ISO sensitivity steps cannot be altered independently, but can be tied to the EV steps. The default is 1 EV.

So, here's a little better instruction (I hope):

From the Custom setting menu, you navigate to the Sensitivity Steps:

and choose 2 - As EV steps

This will tie the ISO to whichever setting you have chosen for the EV steps. I think the default is 1/2 EV Steps.

Now, when you use the Fn button, and navigate to the ISO settings, you have the option to use 1/2 steps (or 1/3 steps, if that's what you've chosen) for your ISO:

Hopefully, this will be of use to some of you. I'm sure that some of you have figured this out, but seeing as it's not very clear in the manual, I'm going to assume that others, like myself,may not have realized that this possibility existed.

PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:50 PM   #2

Nice tutorial on the subject. I had found it on my own not long after getting my K10, but you are entirely correct. The subject is not clearly explained in the manual, so I hope there are those who will benefit from it.

The same procedure has to be followed on the K20 to set up adjustment in 1/3 increments.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:14 PM   #3

Terrific!

I noticed when using Tav mode I got "strange" ISo settings I could not get from setting it via the menu system.

Now I know-- Thanks.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:23 PM   #4

philneast wrote:
Quote:
Terrific!

I noticed when using Tav mode I got "strange" ISo settings I could not get from setting it via the menu system.

Now I know-- Thanks.

Phil
That was exactly how I figured this out! Experimenting with the TAv mode.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5

PMJ, Thank you for doing this...I need to get my manual back out and do some more reading...(At the Honda Motorcycle Mechanics School RTFM was the word all the time) I still do that last some times! Need to do it first now and again!LOL For those that don't know what RTFM< is it is >Read The F&^*ing Manual. Usually followed by Dumb A$$. I guess I qualify!! LOL Had a lady on another forum using multiple exposures for low light photographs and doing very good at it. Double exposures is a way I used to get some low light photos back in the day...Might try using that soon as well.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote