Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:07 PM   #1

Sold my Sigma EX 100-300mm F4. Expect delivery Thursday of a Pentax SMC DA* 300mm F4 ED (IF). Taking a flyer on this lens with no tests or samples yet. I wanted a long lens with the weather sealing. For a zoom I still have my Tokina ATX 80-400mm F4.5-5.6, nice and light and F5.6 is not bad for 400mm.

Has anyone heard anything about someone making a Teleconverter for the Pentax* lenses with the supersonic Motor?
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:53 PM   #2

i've been thinking about doing the same. i am eagerly awaiting your results!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:25 PM   #3

Ian Mc was asking about this lens in a separate thread on the Pentax Lens Forum: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

Keep him in mind when you have some results.......
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:46 PM   #4

A 300mm f/4 or f/2.8 is on my short list right behind a new lap top!! Gotta get the wife to up my lunch money allowance so I can hurry up and get one! Looking forward to your results!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:32 AM   #5

Oooh - how cool! You'll have to post some pictures.

Pentax has an SDM TC on their lens road-map, but I haven't seen anything difinitive about what it might be like. I'm definitely interested in it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:41 AM   #6

snooked wrote:
Quote:
Sold my Sigma EX 100-300mm F4. Expect delivery Thursday of a Pentax SMC DA* 300mm F4 ED (IF). Taking a flyer on this lens with no tests or samples yet. I wanted a long lens with the weather sealing. For a zoom I still have my Tokina ATX 80-400mm F4.5-5.6, nice and light and F5.6 is not bad for 400mm.

Has anyone heard anything about someone making a Teleconverter for the Pentax* lenses with the supersonic Motor?
Hi Ed,

I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I'm not really in the market, as I have an FA* 300/4.5 and a Tam SP300/2.8, but as I've learned, I'll never say never. . .

As for a TC, the Kenko 1.5x / Tamron 1.4x both have PZ contacts on them so they allow SDM compatible bodies to power the SDM in-lens motors. My experience with one on the DA*50-135 is less than ideal though. It always hunts 3 times then gives up, for 3 different tries, then locks focus on the 4th try, when the focus is very close. Other users have said that theirs work fine -- so in my mind, the jury's still out. The newer SDM lenses, especially tele primes, might work better.

Pentax has an SDM TC in the works, but no time frame yet -- I assume it will be a good one, but probably a bit pricey.

Scott

BTW -- congrats in advance on the lens. If the performance is anything like the FA*300/4.5 (the optical formula is obviously different), you'll love it, though the Sigma it's replacing is a fine lens.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:36 AM   #7

Scott,

Thaks for the information. I have the Kenco 1.5X but thought it might not work with the SDM drive. I will let all know how they work together.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:35 PM   #8

Congratulations snooked on your purchase and thanks Jon for referring to my thread on Pentax lenses.

Will be fascinated to see your first action images and maybe a comment on how new 300 compares with your 80-400 Tokina for AF speed.

Have you checked with the Pentax boffins to make sure an AF teleconverter won't cause electrical problems combined with IF lens?

Cheers: Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote