Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:03 AM   #1

Hello,
if you like waterdrops, head over here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

I used the Tamron 70-300mm & 2x macro TC combo here and tried the onboard flash as fill-in. They look at least... um.... different. Hand-held that lens combo is quite difficult, even with non-moving objects.

Postprocessing adapted from my recent flies and bug shots.

Regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:45 AM   #2

these are nice but the 600mm means little as with the 300mm+2x all you'll achieve is 1:1 and these don't look to be even that. big MM at macro means nothing..a 50mm+50mm Extube will do the same and it's a whole lot easier..
great color..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Hehe,

I know - but the "600mm" advertising did it's job . On the other hand it looks also different, even if it's "only" 1:1 - if that's really what I achive with the combo (haven't done a test to get a correct number).

I also pointed it out because it was really hard to hand-held!

As for the colors - yes - that's what make these images special, I like them too.

Regards,
Th.

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:50 PM   #4

I'll go along with Roy - it's a very nice series, really love the last picture, great colorfor the rest,but it sounds far harder than using my Viv 105, which is no light-weight lens. I like the way you managed the flash - not obtrusive at all, and withhardly anyhotspots. Looks quite natural.

What I'd like is to get even more magnification than you can get with 1:1. I've been thinking about a TC, triedmy home-madeextension tube with the Viv but wasn't completely happy with the results. Or maybe something like the add-on raynox (think that's who makes the nice ones)macro lens?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:17 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
...as with the 300mm+2x all you'll achieve is 1:1

LEFT:
- Tamron 70-300 1:2 macro lens + Vivitar 2x macro TC.
- Camera: *ist DL2, sensor size 23,5x15,7mm.
- 180mm: ~ 1:1.2
- 300mm: ~ 1.2:1 :blah:

RIGHT:
-18-55mm kitlens + Vivitar 2x macro TC.
- Camera: *ist DL2, sensor size 23,5x15,7mm.
- close to 18mm: ~1.8:1
- 55mm: ~1.5:1

I know I didn't put much effort into it, so it might not be totally exact, but it's better than nothing.

@mtngal
To get closer than 1:1 you just need a kit lens and a macro focussing TC :idea:and I bet with a true 1:1 macro lens (I still haven't such a thing in my bag ) it *should* be possible to get an even better magnification with just the macro TC.

Best regards,
Th.

Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:40 PM   #6

Forget what I said about the kit lens and a manual macro TC - not being able to control aperture is

IF you want to use the kit lens andmacro TC - get one with an "A" setting.

Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:05 PM   #7

What's a TC?
pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:56 PM   #8

TC = teleconverter. Normally they are rear converters for SLR cameras - it fits between your camera and lens, it has glass in it and it enlarges the image the lens project. They normally are identified by how much they magnify - such as 2x doubles the mm of the lens (300 to 600) or a 1.4x TC would give a focal length of 420mm (300 x 1.4).

They've been around for a long time and they aren't without their problems. Normally when you add extra elements the image quality suffers. And because you are adding length, you lower the amount of light that gets to the sensor so you have to use larger apertures (with less DOF) or longer shutter speeds.

The reason why Th's suggestion about having a TC with contacts to use with the kit lens is that it doesn't have an aperture ring, the only way to set the aperture is by the camera. Some TCs (like the one I had) pre-dates electronics and doesn't have contacts - no way for the camera to "talk" to the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:22 AM   #9

Thank you. I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. You all take such amazing photos I feel I will learn a lot from you.
Cheers,
X
pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote