Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:18 AM   #11

Peacekeeper wrote:
Quote:
I am working with some Turkish UN Peacekeepers here and it is great that such a conflict as this is remembered with such honour by all.

I only hope that the thousands of Aussies that descend on the Galipoli peninsular every year to remember Anzac Day do so with some repect for your country. I know we have a tendency in ours to drink a lot and get a bit rowdy on this one day.

I myself, have not been there yet, I was going to go this year as I am already so close, but the events conspired to prevent me from attending this year.

Waltzing Matilda is a wonderful tribute and rightly said, very meaningful.

Stay Safe

PK
Thanks for your kind concern, PK.. Though I haven't heard any serious complaint, etc.about them neither in press nor from people,ah,I guessit's a bit typicalof the young generationall over the world what you've mention above! Anyway, however a bit noisy they could be,they are still safeand welcome here visiting their grandfathers in the land ofthousands years of tradition of tolerance and winery:-)

I again strongly recommend you to pay a visit to this magically awe inspiring place without having to wait the next Anzac Day ; )

Btw, though Anzac stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, you can see the graves of other peoples along with the Aussies and Kiwis, including alsomuslim ones, brought from the colonies of Britain thousands miles away from here, alas, to die...

Cheers!

Bahadır

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:18 PM   #12

You know, the intersection of history and cultures here, on a photography forum, is simply awesome. Thank you Al and Bahadir both for sharing on this subject.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:10 PM   #13

Tim,

I was trying to explain Anzac Day to a german Police officer and trying to get it into his head that EVERYONE marches on Anzac Day, All nationalities.

[not my images]

Past differences fogotten.

All Generations almost duty bound never to forget

Australian and Turkish

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:25 AM   #14

number 1 is a very poignant and apt photo

i have a few pics from Kings park, but not the dawn service, sorry
these were taken later in the afternoon
but there were still a lot of people around the war memorial
apparently 30,000 tu7rned up for the dawn service

you can see the photos here
http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/ca....php?cat_id=54

keep up the good work
(no footy?? )

Bahdir, that very same quote was read on the news that evening
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:18 AM   #15

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
You know, the intersection of history and cultures here, on a photography forum, is simply awesome. Thank you Al and Bahadir both for sharing on this subject.
It's been really delightful, as you kindly mentioned above, thanks to Peacekeeper's aptly and timely creating the topic! Had I had my camera with me, when in Gallipoli, I'd also be happy to suggest contributing with a picture or two relying, of course, on the poster'stolerance : )

Across the awesome memorial site in Gallipoli, crossing the Dardanelles straight, you reach at an ancient site where the ruins of Troy lies. You may be familiar with Hector's motive (from Illiad) that he did not fight for glory or sth. but for the defence of his home country. Now, after about 3000 years, I think, it's makes a sense to remember a well known quotation by Atatürk: ''Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is a crime." as the colonial, imperialistic capitalism turned into 'globalist' capitalism within a century...

As PK also put it, there's much much more tocomprehend in terms of humanity beyond an obvious bloody war! Below is a picture (not mine!) of a sculpture which depict the 'so called' enemieshelping each other's wounded soldiers..

Love from the last of the Trojans : )

Bahadır

PS. @Gamnut: So, you were also there...ah, shame on me!! I quite liked(and envied :G) your tasteful 'fish eye' captures

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote