Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:33 AM   #11

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The first two though appear to be heavily cropped and some noise reduction used. The first one has alot of lost detail.
Tom, I went back this morning to the original files and looked again at the crops and processing. The first shot was simply too much of a crop to be effective. On the second one, I had plent of image left to work with after the crop (1451 X 1364). There was a slight amount of noise, but not so much as to significantly affect image detail. I re-edited with no noise reduction...just a little Curves and USM.

See what you think. I think the lesson I'm seeing on the K20 is that I have to be far more judicious in my use of noise reduction software. I was a little disappointed, though, in the amount of noise present in the original shot at ISO 1600. I expected a little better than this at that ISO.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:08 AM   #12

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
There was a slight amount of noise, but not so much as to significantly affect image detail. I re-edited with no noise reduction...just a little Curves and USM.

With respect Paul - I disagree. For birds that amount of noise destroys a significant amount of detail. Humans are easier - we don't have feathers - especially kids - features are smooth, not a lot of muscle tone / veins / ligaments etc. Of course there are exceptions.

But independent of what the camera is - that's a lot of noise for a bird picture. It's why some of the more serious birders use flash and better beamer so they can stay at lower ISOs. Just my .02
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote