Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:14 PM   #1

I really have no idea what I'm doing. When I got my last SLR camera a ZX5N I broke it within days. (Kinda) I broke the kit lens anyway. I dropped it (camera & lens) down a cliff where it crashed upon rocks into a waterfall and ended up in the stream below. OOh the horror! Anyway. My camera somehow survived but the lens did not. So, I ended up using my big lenses all the time. the 200mm and the 135mm. They were hand me downs, awesome hand me downs tee hee.
Anyway, I posted a rather frustrated post in the lens forum but I now realize its not with the lens that I have an issue. I am concerned that maybe my camera's sensors(?) are not properly functioning. When I take a photo in green mode as you say, which I take to mean Auto pict or any of the other green zone functions, I should not get photos like this:

And I want to add, in the next photo I manually set the exposure with no changes to the onboard flash.

And this photo was taken outside in autopict or maybe macro mode but green non the less:

and with me in charge manual (a bit underexposed):

I'm not sure if the whole first image is out of focus or if the flower is in focus and just washed out.

These images were only size adjusted for the web by the way.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
PDGirl

pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:45 PM   #2

I just looked though your other post, and while I have some answers, I don't have others.

First thing - your 200mm lens is an M (manual) lens, so if you use it in any mode other than M, the camera won't stop it down. That means that you could easily have your pictures over-exposed if there is too much light for f4. What I've always done is used the "M" mode on the camera, set the aperture on the lens, then push the AE-L button (I think you are using a K100, right?) which will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to meter. I've not had trouble with over-exposure with the K100, I did have some trouble with the K10 and manual lenses (more with a 24mm lens I had than the 135mm).

Second, with an M lens the camera can't properly control a flash (it doesn't know what aperture you set on the lens). So it will fire the on-board flash at max brightness. This means you need to set an appropriate aperture. I never could figure all that out, so I don't use flash with manual lenses.

The kit lens SHOULD give you correct exposure - the only time I had trouble with mine was when I was trying to use the on-board flash too close to my subject (as you can tell, I've had trouble with flash in the past). Does it overexpose when you aren't using the flash? If it does, then I'd be looking at the camera. I would first reset everything to default settings. It's quite easy to get some setting off that causes problems (for instance you don't want to shoot sports using spot metering!), or perhaps you have the Ev set wrong and the camera is confused. If you reset to default settings and it still gives you funny exposures, especially with the kit lens, I'd probably talk to the store you bought the camera from (or Pentax for warranty repair).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:14 PM   #3

I have to second everything Harriet said. If you are trying to use a fully manual (no electronic contacts) lens inanymode except M that could very well be the cause of the problem. My K100d is pretty spot on when using M mode and setting the program line by pressing the A/E lock button. My K10 also tended to overexpose about a stop in M mode using the green button to find the program line. Thus far, the K20d seems to be spot on as well.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4

I do use M mode on manual lens sometimes but I use AV mode more often and set the Aperture myself...Then I adjust the EV a step or two up or down to get the exposure I want...I almost never use a flash so I can't help much there!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:44 AM   #5

you seem to have a handle on good exposure, i wouldnt use the green mode
personally i find the white flower exposed ok
any lighter and you could loose detail in the petals
the background can be lightened using curves in a photo editing program
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:06 AM   #6

Thanks Mtngal. I don't think I have messed with any of the default settings as per the green mode. All the photos in this post were taken with the lens kit. The overexposed photos were taken in green mode and the properly exposed images in manual. That is the thing, when I set the exposure manally on the cat, the onboard flash went off, but the exposure came out good. When in green mode, overexposed. I think it is my camera. I have a K100d Super by the way. I think I'll take the don't use green mode advice ;-)
I wouldn't be bothered by that, I just hope I can get er all done fast enough when I shoot fashion shows.
Thanks all,
X
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:09 AM   #7

I don't have any problems with the 200 mm in M mode. I only have a problem with exposure if I use the AE-L lock. I thought the idea was to focus and then hit the ae-l to let the camera get an exposure setting. Doesn't work well for me. Better if I just do it all myself.
Cheers,
x
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:15 AM   #8

Given the further information, I think your camera has a problem it sounds like your camera exposes incorrectly whenever it's supposed to do the work, and that's not right. Either get it replaced or send it in for repair.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:26 AM   #9

Thanks,
That's what I thought. That's why I thought I hated the kit lens. Just couldn't get good pics, until I started working it manually that is. Poop,
I don't want to send my new camera away. :sad:

Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:08 PM   #10

pdgirl wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
That's what I thought. That's why I thought I hated the kit lens. Just couldn't get good pics, until I started working it manually that is. Poop,
I don't want to send my new camera away. :sad:
Another idea would be to find a local camera store and ask them to have a look and/or a fellow photographer (preferrable with a Pentax camera) - that way you could use YOUR kit lens on another body to see if it works.

That should narrow down the error.

Good luck,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote