Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 4, 2008, 10:36 PM   #31

Kjell- it does sound like your camera was faulty in more ways than just the AF mechanism, if the MF lenses looked soft to you. It sounds more like there's something off-kilter with how the sensor is situated or something like that. In any case, I sure hope you get a replacement soon - I've been so pleased with mine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:18 PM   #32

So now it's on it's way back, please hold your thumbs for me. I took another look at your cherry blossom tree with the bumble bee, Harriet. That's the quality I want and expect.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:30 PM   #33

is it possible to suffer from front or rear focusing if you have the camera set to spot focus

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:22 PM   #34

Yes it is. Those pelicans were shot with spot focus.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 11:33 PM   #35

Thefocus mode (center, select, auto) won't make a difference if the camera isn't functioning properly. If the camera IS functioning properly, then the auto mode can lead the camera to focus on something you didn't intend sometimes (it chooses a different subject in a different place than what you had in mind). I avoid auto and use select or center.

Usually the term "spot" is used for metering, rather than for focusing - spot vs. center-weighted vs. matrix. This doesn't have anything to do with focusing, onlymetering for exposure settings(and for some reason, I had the hardest time keeping them straight and separate in my mind).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:38 PM   #36

With all the discussion of K10 focus issues, I thought I'd just contribute with this image & my findings, which whilst not covering the range of lens considered here, does, IMHO, confirm that the the K10 is capable of 'doing the business'.

Hand held using SR, 1/250S, f11, ISO 250, FL 375mm taken with the Tamron 18-250mm lens.

Attached Images

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:57 PM   #37

I shot a swim meet last weekend on Saturday. Not the most taxing application of AF-C but one the camera had had issues with before.

Out of over 800 pics, only about 10 were out of focus. That ratio was unobtainable a month ago without the update. I am a happy camper.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 12:23 AM   #38

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
That ratio was unobtainable a month ago without the update. I am a happy camper.
Comforting news, D3. I hope I can write the same in a few weeks time.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 10:26 AM   #39

My K10D has some issues, but most I can work around (systematic error rather than random error). The biggest plus is that the FA50mm f1.4 is spot-on which means it works with my favourite lens, and the Sigma 24-135mm (my most "useful" lens, ie the one I make some money with)has just a slight backfocus that I can easily adjust for.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote