Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:52 PM   #1

has any one tried this , does it help focus on the K10D

In short, I have just tried the "firmware hack":
Vietzon.com Forums

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

Hi Dave. What kind of focus problem are you having? My K10 is on the way back from Pentax Service in Colorado and should be her Tuesday. I got so frustrated with mine, then I got to where I would'nt trust it. I downloaded the hack firmware and was going to try it but I thought since my K10 is still under warranty, I'd let them try to calibrate it first.

From what I've read on other forums, the factory cal is really effective nd people are saying the focus rivals their K20d when they get it back.

Here is an example of the issues I was having. The focus point is the eye of the center pelican.

Dennis

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:50 PM   #3

No photo showing Dennis.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:00 PM   #4

How about now? I removed and reinserted it.

Dennis
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5

Strange, my hosting service says external links are turned off for the gallery this is in but I can see it on the page I posted it to. Weird. I'll have to look at it in the morning.

Dennis
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6

Ok, I reloaded the pic to another gallery and reinserted it into the post. Hopefully that took care of it.

Dennis
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Whatever you didworked because I can see it. Sometimes if a picture is in your memory it will show for you but not for someone who doesn't have it in theirs. I had that happen with a photo hosting website once, where they wouldn't allow linking to outside boards. I could see the picture because I had looked at it on the hosting website, but others couldn't see it without going there first.

Good luck solving your K10's focusing issue.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:56 AM   #8

i not sure if i have this problem , in that, i focus on something and then when i review the pic its some times out of focus, where i want focused, so i usually have to set the cam on spot focus , and then again some times its still out of focus.

what test can i do to really check this or is it users error :?

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:56 AM   #9

My issues were similar in that it was not consistent. All I know is that shot is with a known sharp lens on a tripod and the pelicans further away are definitely in focus.

The lens always performed wellon the k100D, so I am going to make the call it's the camera body not being in proper calibration. I blamed myself for awhile and suspected the body only after I did back to back shots with the same lenses.

I like my K100 but it is painfully slow compared to the K10d

Dennis
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:43 AM   #10

Have you tried shooting a focus chart, like the one at http://focustestchart.com/chart.html? I did this a couple of times with the K10 and found that my K10 would backfocus a bit, but thought it wasn't enough to send in (the focus line would be sharp, but just barely). The things I noticed most was that it would sometimes say it had focus when it really didn't. Also, it wouldn't always focus on something farther away, which should be infinity. I noticed it mostly with the DA*50-135 - I took a series of shots of a fence that was on the other side of a football practice field (not full sized) but far enough away that the camera should have chosen infinity. If I manually focused the camera, the fence was sharp but not usually if the camera was left to focus itself. Rather than manually focus everything, I tended to stop the lens down more than I necessarily would have to get a bigger DOF, and also I'd take a couple of pictures to see if I could get one out of them that was right.

It's easy to blame yourself, because it COULD be your error, too. The other problem I had was that as time went on and I kept thinking it was my error, I tended to grip the camera harder and push harder on the shutter, which WILL cause camera shake. I have none of these issues with the K20, which convinces me more and more that the fault was with the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote