Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:11 PM   #21

EddyinGA wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I am a licensed Ham Radio operator.
Hey, me too. NC5S

I also hold a Private Pilot Certificate (Not current though)

I love doing Karaoke and I'm an accomplished Dancer.
Eddy
Never bothered to get the 4X call. My call Is WA1WST. I am Advanced Class. I mainly hang out on 2M. I still have all my low band Gear (Kenwood), but no where in the house to set it up.

Congrats on the PPL. While i Never got my certificate. All i had left to Do was my Solo, but never was able to put the money Together to Do it.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:02 PM   #22

Phil, all of my activity, such as there is, is on 2m as well.

I pretty much lost interest in the hobby back in 2000 when, IMO, the only remaining test of skill was watered down to 5 wpm.

When the licensing went code free completely, that was the crowning blow for me.

I have only a VX-150 now and seldom use it.

AR SK
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:53 AM   #23

EddyinGA wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I am a licensed Ham Radio operator.
Hey, me too.** NC5S
And again ... G3OZC

Great carpentry Glenn, that's a nice piece of furniture. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:07 AM   #24

sgarthee wrote:
Quote:
No wonder you all do better with the camera than me... most of you have artistic passtimes.

I have less creative hobbies...

Hunting (Deer, Turkey, Quail, Grouse, Pheasant)

Skeet

Fishing (Bass, Striper, and the occaisional Walleye)

Private PilotSEL (Civil Air Patrol)

I bet most of you are naturally left-handed too.:-)
Ambidextrous!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:15 AM   #25

As I said before, my hobbies other than photography, include traveling and hiking. The traveling is fairly limited due to work and budget constraints. The past week I got to do a little of both hiking and traveling.

First, I took a day off and went to see some out-of-state friends who were visiting the Solvang area. My day trip to meet them included a brief stop here:

After lunch we ventured over to a cave near Santa Barbara that has some Chumash Indian paintings on a cave wall. This was taken without flash, with the camera balanced on part of the metal gate they have across the cave. It's obvious that there's been more modern people leaving their mark on the cave all, too.

We also toured the Santa Barbara mission - a church that was founded in the late 1700s by the Spanish. This was also hand-held, unsupported:

Sunday found me with some of my favorite things at one of my favorite places:

While others were enjoying the beaches due to the heat this weekend, I went in search of the last of the snow (elevation over 8,000 feet):

I love wandering around the woods. I'm tempted to change my monthly texture picture to this one - old wood is so much fun to photograph.

My final destination. It was hazy Sunday, I think the marine layer was trying to come in so the view wasn't quite as spectacular as it can be. Its still a great place to visit, though.

If you look at the exif, some of these were taken with the K20 and some with the K100. Yes, I did hike over 4 miles with both cameras and 5 lenses. No flash, and of course, I would have liked it when I was photographing dark grey lichen on a rock!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:00 AM   #26

I just like to get away from it all and go for a ride on my bike, but I do take the camera most of the time.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:30 AM   #27

for me, right now it is going to school trying to complete my undergraduate degree in psychology. sadly i haven't had much time totend to my photography this semester, but hopefully that changes in a week when finals are over.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:19 PM   #28

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As I said before, my hobbies other than photography, include traveling and hiking. The traveling is fairly limited due to work and budget constraints. The past week I got to do a little of both hiking and traveling.
Very nice shots.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:19 PM   #29

Hobbies; Interesting topic:

A lot of talent on this forum - that Chest is top shelf!, loved the poems, actor anddirector - "Lights!, Camera!, Action!. had to take a second look at the CSX to realize it's a model.

My Hobby that never got started: HAM radio. Thought I'd be interested as I was a morse intercept operator in the Navyusing an R390A receiver, copied Chinese Communist morse code.Quickly lost interest, seemed like work instead of fun.

Hobbies that have come and gone:

Model Railroading. Lot's of Lionel O and O27 gauge. TBA (Train Buying Addiction) My apologies to you purists, Lionel is Toy Railroading. Lost interestwhen my two son's grew up. The family is still waiting for me, I can't seem to let go of the toys.

Running: The mid life crisis hobby.When your eye / hand coordination isn't what it used to be, and your lateral quickness is only in your mind, you can always run slow, in a straight line, for a long distance.After 2 marathons and about 80 other road racesI lost interest in that too.Marathons are like hitting yourhead against a brick wall, it feels good when you stop.

Hobby that has stuck: Gardening.

New Hobby: Short Term Missions Travel. 2005 - Azerbaijan, 2006 - Israel/Egypt, coming up this fall - Zambia. More expensive than LBA, but better for the soul.

Jim

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:55 PM   #30

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

While others were enjoying the beaches due to the heat this weekend, I went in search of the last of the snow (elevation over 8,000 feet):

My final destination. It was hazy Sunday, I think the marine layer was trying to come in so the view wasn't quite as spectacular as it can be. Its still a great place to visit, though.

Great shots you have there, Harriet. I like the shot with the icy snow. So close to home for me, yet I can't quite place it. Where did you take your high-altitude hike? We've got snow over about 8500 ft. here in the San Gabriels. Only on the north faces, though. On the basin side, it's all gone.

Also, is that a monopod I see there in the shot of your gear? I picked up a Trekpod a few months ago, but haven't given it much use yet. I liked the features: the base opens up into a little tripod if you want, and the high strength magnet is strong enough for the K10Dwith the Sigma 70-300 APO.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote