Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:33 PM   #31

Hm, since people post photos of their hobbies I digged in my archives for some early sketches / small paintings that also show my interest in the RPG area.

#1 - a dwarfen guard, a stubborn and sturdy guy with lots of self-confidence and a huge axe and a (almost) oversized shield, I tried to bring out the "you can't pass that line" look here.

#2 - a young, novice fighter starting to train in large weaponry (lots of painful and sweaty lessons ahead I'd say). I especially tried to focus on showing how heavy that large weapon is - he isn't even able to lift it at the moment and needs to throw in everything he has to just move it around. But he'll manage at some day, I am very sure.

I know, it's not exactly photography but these small paintings played a big role in my tries to sketch/portrait a person, or to be more specific, a special posture. It's basicly the same that I like to do when I take photos - capture a moment, tell the story of a certain moment or scenery, concentrating on the few most important details that you might remember even after a long time. Not exactly masterpieces of art but I had fun doing them and they make me smile when I look at them from time to time - and that's enough.

Best regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:30 PM   #32

I keep African Cichlids from Lake Malawi. Other than saltwater fish,these ar probably the most colorful fish on the planet. I've got two good size tanks, a 75G and 125G. Taking pictures of the fish is probably the main reason I decided to get back in SLR's. The old P&S Olympus camera wasn't cutting it.

Here are a few pics of my favorite specimens and tanks....taken with K110D and A35-70mm lens. Shoe mounted flah with DIY diffuser. (please excuse the dirty glass)

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:09 PM   #33

The bench is at the wildlife viewing area, near the top of Mt. Pinos, the highest spot in Los Padres National Forest (over 8,800 feet), a two mile hike (one way), and the best thing is the trailhead is only about a half hour leasurely drive from our house. The view is toward the Sespe Wilderness area,the bottom end of Lockwood Valley and Hwy 33 way off in the distance. Like your area, snow is patchy at best and only in shaded spots, mainly north facing slopes. I was surprised at how much snow is still around (a nice thing to see since snow up there means future water in our wells!).

That is a monopod you see - I have a smallGiotto ballhead on top. I don't use the head all that much, I use it mostly as a hiking stick (it's as sturdy as a trekking pole, hasa shock absorber and is available from REI)and as stabilizing pole for macros. I'll rest the camera on the head more often than actually locking the camera on the head. I debated getting something like your Trekpod, but didn't see one around that I could easily afford - the hiker I have wasn't that expensive (and a good portion of it was paid for by my REI annual refund).

Th -Yoursketches are very charming- I envy anyone who can draw.

maxwell - your fish picturesare outstanding! What a beautiful, constantly changing scene in your house, a wonderful subject for photography.

Harriet
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:42 AM   #34

@mtngal

Thanks - it's a nice, quiethobby if you just want to relax. And I throw away A LOT... :sad:- so just keep trying - there will be the day where you keep your first picture and then slowly your collection of "keepers" grow. Just do it for yourself, not for other people...

@maxwell

1st tank, but with plants in it and one stone less - that would be perfect! But on the other hand who am I to argue :?- we only got a rabbit and a turtle here... oh... that counts as a hobby, too - right? Have to dig out some photos then probably! :G

Regards,
Th.

Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:40 PM   #35

This has been an interesting thread with some great photos and illustrations. My problem is that I never seem to change hobbies, though I do seem to add them on occasion. Aside from photography, my newest hobby, I still love to read, play computer games (mostly strategy and first person shooter games), and target shooting. Anything involving history has my full attention and for many years I ardently collected vintage military firearms.

When you add in the job, wife, kids, church, etc I have a hard time devoting enough time to anything, including my friends here on this forum (and I apologize for not keeping up with all of the current threads).

Photography has certainly eclipsed all other hobbies in terms of money invested. I have not quite reached the point of trading old guns for lenses but I have not invested any new money in that hobby since I discovered the joy of a K100 and a macro lens.

My other hobbies have not intersected quite as well with others here, but this shot is from one of my first attempts at still life photography:

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:41 PM   #36

Since pets counts as hobby, here's our turtle (born in August last year, so it's really a baby/small kid now - they can live 70-80 years) on a hiking tour in our garden. If it's warm enough he/she will stay outside, for now only short trips...

And yes - he/she eats the grass and the flowers/herbs growing there - although not everything... has a mind of his/her own.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:08 PM   #37

Thanks everybody for posting. We have some very talented people here and its nice to see a few other sides of each other. Writing, art, sports of just about every kind, models, and animals. Hope you continue to enjoy them all!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 4:46 PM   #38

@NonEntity1

Nice shot - a tad more framing (some mm more wide) would be nice, but that's just my personal feeling. I have no advanced knowledge on pistols and what caught my eye is how very simple that one looks. Anyway - I couldn't resist to play around a bit with it and apply some postprocessing - I wanted a more "hard blue steel" look with a stronger "metal" feeling and was also aiming for some strong contrasts at all the metal things around plus tried to bring out the different materials which add a lot to the image itself (to my mind). Personal taste I guess... nothing against your photo, really. This is what I got:

Have fun with your hobby,
Th.

Old May 3, 2008, 10:02 AM   #39

Wow, you guys take such awesome photos. I hope I can get to that level sooner than later.
I design clothing. Reconstructed, refashioned clothing to be exact. I chop stuff up and make it into something else or when I make anything from scratch I use cast off fabrics.
Note* Photo not mine.

I made everything from the dreses & hats to the jewelry.
pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 6:38 PM   #40

I love fishing, mainly for smallmouth bass, play a little golf < poorly I might add > and am in a sim racing Formula 1 league. Also play a little guitar now and then...

StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote