Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2008, 1:46 AM   #11

I think it is unfair to say it is a gimmick.

Burst mode as a bonus / side effect of using the current CMOS sensor.

I also think it is unfair to say the quality is low when you see a heavily cropped image. The below image was taken as an experiment just to try it out. If I was serious I would have used better lighting, tripod and deeper DOF.

Not everybody is going to print ALL their shots or enlarge them, some are happy with images for their PCs/Laptops and internet. Like selecting a lens for different aspects of shooting, so you can choose different modes.

I think for those that do web design/publishing and other applications not requiring mega pixels then this is a good option.

PK
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:50 AM   #12

Not the best shots I know .

The following two shots were taken 10 seconds apart, anyone want to tell me which one is 15mp resized and which one is 1.6mp resized?
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2008, 2:00 AM   #13

Attached Images

Old May 1, 2008, 2:07 AM   #14

Even the 1.6mp image had to be resized almost to 50%.

So I believe for internet posts and web stuff the K20D can get excellent split second captures if you prepare. :|
Old May 1, 2008, 3:10 AM   #15

Thanks Harriet for posting these K20 burst mode shots.

I didn't see mention of the shutter speed and wonder if the loss of vision thro' viwfinder could be because shutter speed too slow?

Could be interesting to try following action in aperture priority of say F5.6 at different ISOs say 200, 400, 800 & 1500 and see if there is a difference in seeing the action thro' the VF. Just a suggestion.

Cheers: Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:58 AM   #16

Ian

The loss of image in the viewfinder is beause the mirror is up to allow the light through to the sensor.

The image can be followed by watching the rear LCD just like any P&S, though it cannot adjust focus.

PK
Old May 1, 2008, 9:13 AM   #17

Your point about it being good for web design is one of the areas where I thoughtburst modewould be useful - especially if one were doing gif animations. I've thought it might be neat to figure out how to do that, then see what I could come up with the camera.

I can see quite a bit of difference (at least to my eye) between your two pictures. Though I'm not sure which is the 14 mp one - one is sharper than the other. Either the softer one is the 14 mp picture that lost it's sharpness due to downsizing or else it's the 1 mp one, where it didn't have as much information in the first place. I can see it either way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:38 AM   #18

My comment has nothing to do with the examples posted to uphold the usefulness of the burst mode. My comment was made on the example Harriet posted on an action and/or sports shot. Perhaps even BIF shots. I don't see it as useful. My shots aren't intended for web posting only. The burst mode for my needs and/or interest does not cut it. It is my opinion based on my interest and needs. It is simple as that and not up for arguments sake as to what other merits it may have. I don't have interest in that and again was not referring to the examples posted after the OP's example.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote