Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1

I finally got around to post processing some of the shots from our family trip to the D-Day reenactment two weekends ago. It was a very nice family trip, we took my in-laws and kids. My wife got behind the K100d, my nine year old son worked the shutter on the Kodak digicam and my 14 year old daughter, who is impressed by nothing, even admitted it was impressive.

It was a really well done event and I would recommend it to any Florida Pentaxians. In fact, one of the reenactors sat out one of the demonstrations and took shots of his comrades with a K10d. We caught all three battles. Surprisingly the "German" reenactors lost all three times, you would think they would have learned :-).

From the K20d, with either the Tamron 180mm f/2.5 or FA 50mm 1.4:

The palm trees would make for a better North Africa campaign reenactment but I could not fault the effort these men and women put into recreating history.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:08 PM   #2

My wife has not had nearly the camera time I have, she has some lame excuse about her husband hogging the camera until we got a second body, but I thought both she and the K100d gave a good account beside the K20d. Most of these were taken with the Sigma 24-135mm:

Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:21 PM   #3

This is the last one and my favorite from the two day event. It is not that the photo is technically or artistically good but it strikes a chord with me. I could hear their conversation from where I stood. The older gentleman had landed at Normandy on the real D-Day and was recounting some of his experiences to the young reenactor. Too much history slips away because no one has the time or inclination to record it. As Al pointed out in a recent post, Lest We Forget.

Thanks for looking,
Tim
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4

Tim

Great shots as usual. I wish i could have been there. Thank you so much for posting these shots. If you post more on the web, please let me know where i can view them.

THX

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:00 AM   #5

Wonderful series - looks like you are making good use of the K20. I love the last photo, what a wonderful capture, especially knowing about the conversation.Oral history, stories told by thosewho were there,is so important!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Wow! Great use of DOF and the colors are just vibrant.

I find the fatigues patterns pretty interesting. It only took some 60 years to get it right:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:37 PM   #7

Really nice set of pics.

The last one is the one for me. I was recently at the Pima Air and Space Museum and the attendant in the hanger with the B24 had flown one in WWII. He told me about his first hand experiences. It was all I could do to stop my eyes from"leaking" when I thanked him for his efforts of 64 years ago. The last picture represents the same feelings to me now.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:07 PM   #8

Hi Tim,

Great Stuff! It must have been something to be able to shoot a battle from the inside -- but the last shot really does it, especially with the context. The contrasts are so sharp: The colorful "modern" clothes of the older man against the OD green from over 60 years ago of the young reenactor, the real memories of the guy who was actually there against the reenactor who honors that memory and service and keeps it alive. That's nothing but special -- an image that is worth more than a thousand words. . .

On another note -- sounds like Pentax was represented much more than usual at this event -- that's got to be a good thing. I've only seen one other Pentax shooter in the four years I've owned one.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 8:32 PM   #9

A great sequence anyway, but that last shot gives it so much more meaning. Well done.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 8:57 PM   #10

Nice series. The oldre vet and the young boy is a fantastic capture.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote