Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2008, 1:59 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've been playing around with the idea of using recorded bird songs to attract specific species so I can get some shots of them. I've loaded Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs: Eastern Region into my IPod (my only real use for it), and got a little amplified speaker for it (that took some looking around, but I found one for $6 at a "dollar store"). The Ipod is ideal from a handling standpoint since scrolling through the menus is so fast (I'm sure some of the others are even better from a computer interface standpoint -- Apple only makes it easy if you want to download stuff from their store -- everything else is something of a pain)

I went to the River Trails NC and set up the K20 with the 714mm Tamron combo on the tripod. The first song I tried was the Red-Bellied Woodpecker. I knew there was at least one in the area, but it rarely showed up near the feeders.
Within a few minutes, he was out and answering the calls, then he came closer to check things out.

. . . and he made a quick stop at the feeder -- but on the wrong side. . . I was able to time one of the times when he popped his head up to look around.

So far, so good. I tried Northern Cardinals next -- and this guy showed up, probably wondering who was encroaching into his territory. . .

Next, I tried some various sparrow songs. I knew there were lots of White-Throated Sparrows around, and this was the most successful. Within a minute, there were return songs from a lot of different directions, and pretty soon 5 or 6 showed up in the area.

They were joined by a few tree sparrows

A bonus presented itself when a Red-Tailed Hawk showed up to check out all the activity from about 150 ft away. It also spent quite a bit of time flying over the area while I was there.

I tried others, but with no or limited success -- I spotted a few, but they wouldn't come close enough to get any shots.

All in all, I'd say my experiment was pretty successful -- but that means I've got something else to keep charged and packed in the bag. . .:roll:

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 5:20 PM   #2

It looks like your plan worked very well Scott. I remain amazed at how much detail you get with two teleconverters, they are all great shots.
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3

What a brilliant idea! And the results are outstanding - I love your bird pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 12:50 AM   #4

Good thinking, Scott and wonderful shots.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 2:48 AM   #5

There is a lot of arguments about calling birds, I don't know, but you did it in a very clever way and wow didn't you get some great shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 2:57 PM   #6

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
There is a lot of arguments about calling birds, I don't know, but you did it in a very clever way and wow didn't you get some great shots.
Maybe next time he should use and IPhone to call the birds. I could not resist. Just having a little fun here.

These are excellent shots by the way.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:31 AM   #7

Great idea thanks for sharing it. So now I'm searching for bird songs and a small but load enough speaker.

This is going to be fun. :G

Oh before I forget, magnificent pictures.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 7:54 PM   #8

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Great idea thanks for sharing it. So now I'm searching for bird songs and a small but load enough speaker.

This is going to be fun. :G

Oh before I forget, magnificent pictures.

Ronny
Scott

Great idea and stunning shots. Got to research some birdie songs instead of lens. That at least is more manageable

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote