Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1

Hi Everyone - I know this is a loaded question, but I thought I would ask and see what everyone does. I like to shoot close-ups of wildflowers. In the Spring a good breeze usually goes along with this, at least out here. There is nothing worse then a pretty flower with a long stem.

I use to like ISO200, as I thought this would give me my sharpest image. I'm a hold over from film days andI always used ASA100 for vivid flower shots. I've had a changing of my ways this year and have switched to ISO400 for most everything, even in bright light, although I often use a diffuser for close-ups of flowers.

Flowers tend to blow or move just as you click the shutter ( I think it's a built in defense mechanism with them). By changing to ISO400, I can double my shutter speed, all else being equally and stop someof this motion. I don't seem to notice any grain or loss of quality in the picture. I haven't played with ISO800 yet, but that might be an option when in the shade or using my diffuser. The Sony sensor seems to be pretty good at higher ISO. What do you guys/gals think or do?

BTW: I still usemy reliableDL, one of the fewleft it looks like anymore. I just like the feel of it. I guess you could say it fits like a worn out glove - Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2

bruce,
i'm still using a DS that predates the DL.. i always use 200 or 400.. usually i can't tell any difference between to 2.. if the shot is to be a keeper and i have to go higher i break out the mono/tripod..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 1:13 PM   #3

Hi Roy - The problem isn't so much the stability of the camera, but the stability of the flower. When these things wave in the wind, its not only a motion thing, but it goes in and out of focus when up close. Sometimes the only way to get it is a high shutter speed and use focus trap with a manual lens. Just hold the button down and wait for the flower to come into focus, at which point you hear the click. At least that's how it's suppose to work.

Glad to hear you still use a DS. I don't feel so lonely now - Bruce
Old May 3, 2008, 1:16 PM   #4

I use the lowest that I can get away with to minimise noise.

Using a Tamron 18-250mm on a K10, I use TAV mode to keep the aperature as high as possible with as fast a shutter speed as I can get away with; ISO speeds vary between 100 & 400.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 4:42 PM   #5

Hi Bruce

I too keep my K10D seton 400 ISO and on thedaylight setting in case there is a great sunrise or sunset or rainbow or neat clouds. Also have it set on AV @ F5.6 when in zoom mode and have found multi-segment metering to my liking.

If I take a picture and find the shutter speed more than necessary I might try 200 or 100 ISO for comparisons.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 5:11 PM   #6

The one problem the DL has that I don't think the rest of you have (unless you have a DL)is it does not have 11 focus points. You are always forced to focus in the center if you are using focus trap or using the focus light and crop the image to one side later (rule of thirds or the sweet spot), not always a goodway to do it.

You don't realize how nice 11 point focusing is until you don't have it. Glad to see they added that to the K100 and K200. That's probably the main reason I would upgrade at some point in time- Bruce
Old May 3, 2008, 5:54 PM   #7

Hi Bruce

Ialso am aHold out from the Film days. Back in the day i used almost exculsively 25 ASA Slide Film. I Still use my DS and K100D.I Must admit that while on on St Thomas(USVI) a couple of weeks ago, i stopped in a Local Photo Store and played with the K20. However, it still a little rich for my pocket and skill level.

Back to your Question. i usually stay between 200 & 400. Never Ventured above 800.

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:09 PM   #8

I don't have a problem with using ISO up through 800 for flowers, though I may run a picture from 800-1600 through Neat Image, if it has a lot of shadows with noise. I leave the camera set to Auto, using 200-1600 for the K100 or 100-1600 for the K20 (I used 100-800 for the K10). When it's breezy I'll use Tav, otherwise usually I'll use Av as I'm always concerned with DOF with flowers.

I've always liked the results from the 6 mp Sony sensor, and chose to keep the K100 over the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:55 PM   #9

I have shot sports regularly at iso 800 with my DS and up to 1600 on occasions.

There is some noise but Noise Ninja is quite efective at reducing it.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 11:28 PM   #10

With long lenses and small birds in shadow I use higher ISO's most times...ISO 1100 works pretty good or ISO 580! The photo below is at 1100, 1/125 sec, f/11 hand held and no cropping!

Dawg

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote