Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2008, 9:52 PM   #1

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 4:21 PM   #2

won-der-ful!

Dawg - there is a lot of detail in that photo and it looks more clear than other photos you posted - is this just good lighting or did you changed settings? I had a quick go with some standard workflow procedures on your image and evenwith the downsized imageI was able to bring out more details which wasn't that easy on many other of your shots.

I'd really suggest you play around some more with it and prepare the full size image for a nice print - colors are terrific and the whole scenery is very nice.

Things I'd like to see especially is more structure / texture in the white breast feathers. Hard to achive since graduation curve manipulation will also cause the tree to change appearance quite heavily :?. The dark/light contrast is deadly in some areas, so watch out for sharpening halos! I am still working on a method to sharpen/refocus with as less halos as possible since these are always so distracting :sad:- no universal solution in sight yet, but I never used the "standard" sharpen methods (easy automatic sharpen, USM with small radius etc.) for a long time now and think it's worth it.

Again - a superb shot, I wish I could get a chance for some nice bird shots this year, too! Thanks for sharing.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
won-der-ful!

Dawg - there is a lot of detail in that photo and it looks more clear than other photos you posted - is this just good lighting or did you changed settings? I had a quick go with some standard workflow procedures on your image and evenwith the downsized imageI was able to bring out more details which wasn't that easy on many other of your shots.

I'd really suggest you play around some more with it and prepare the full size image for a nice print - colors are terrific and the whole scenery is very nice.

Things I'd like to see especially is more structure / texture in the white breast feathers. Hard to achive since graduation curve manipulation will also cause the tree to change appearance quite heavily :?. The dark/light contrast is deadly in some areas, so watch out for sharpening halos! I am still working on a method to sharpen/refocus with as less halos as possible since these are always so distracting :sad:- no universal solution in sight yet, but I never used the "standard" sharpen methods (easy automatic sharpen, USM with small radius etc.) for a long time now and think it's worth it.

Again - a superb shot, I wish I could get a chance for some nice bird shots this year, too! Thanks for sharing.

Th.
I hope you get a chance at those bird shots this year Th! And thanks.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote