Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2008, 9:09 PM   #1

Used the Bigma plus a 1.4 TC to get this one!

1/125 sec
f/11
ISO 1100
Manual exposure and focus
Hand held

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 1:10 AM   #2

very nice Dawg, hand held, very, very nice.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 1:29 AM   #3

Dawg, the shots just keep getting better. I agree with Simowills, handheld at 125 is really, really hard! Well done.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 4:02 PM   #4

I'd like to chime in here - for some reason the shots are getting better! I really think it's the better light you was waiting for - am I right? When I used my 2x TC and took photos "wide open" and stopped down just 1-2 f-stops I saw a big increase in image quality, maybe that's what you experience here, too?

Anyway - wonderful detail, the head looks a tad out of focus - so we are still talking about a very narrow DOF, right? Hand-held shooting with 500*1.4=700mm at 1/125s is - I would probably waste 50 shots and get no keeper, darnit! Lucky you!

I am (ab-)using my Viv 2x macro TC as a "normal" TC on my Tamron 70-300 lens so while I don't come as close as you (600mm vs 700mm) I still know what you did - congratulations!

Regards,
Th.

P.S. Exposure is better on that one compared with the Redhead shot... again it's really a step-up in image quality here, very nice!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 8:00 PM   #5

Terrific shots, Ed. You make me want a Bigma more and more all of the time, shame on you for encouraging a poor school teacher's LBA.:-)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 10:42 PM   #6

simowills wrote:
Quote:
very nice Dawg, hand held, very, very nice.
Hand held sitting in my rocking chair on my front porch sipping on an Icehouse Beer and smoking a cigar...Lovely day off for a change! Thank you!!

Dawg

Old May 4, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Dawg, the shots just keep getting better. I agree with Simowills, handheld at 125 is really, really hard! Well done.

Glenn
Thank you Glenn...I find the Bigma-TC-K10D combo to have a good heft but also a nice balance to me...Makes the hand held shots much easier than I would have believed!

Dawg
Old May 4, 2008, 10:48 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to chime in here - for some reason the shots are getting better! I really think it's the better light you was waiting for - am I right? When I used my 2x TC and took photos "wide open" and stopped down just 1-2 f-stops I saw a big increase in image quality, maybe that's what you experience here, too?

Anyway - wonderful detail, the head looks a tad out of focus - so we are still talking about a very narrow DOF, right? Hand-held shooting with 500*1.4=700mm at 1/125s is - I would probably waste 50 shots and get no keeper, darnit! Lucky you!

I am (ab-)using my Viv 2x macro TC as a "normal" TC on my Tamron 70-300 lens so while I don't come as close as you (600mm vs 700mm) I still know what you did - congratulations!

Regards,
Th.

P.S. Exposure is better on that one compared with the Redhead shot... again it's really a step-up in image quality here, very nice!
Thank you very much TH...The better light has led to better photos as I knew it would. Having a couple of days off from my night time job has allowed me to shoot in the afternoon with the light directly towards my subjects as I sit on my porch! makes for better shutterspeeds as well as the ability to use a higher f/stop. This one was in slight shade and the Redhead (at least the third photo) was in dirrect sunlight...Gave it almost a Flash photo look!

Dawg

Dawg
Old May 4, 2008, 10:52 PM   #9

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Terrific shots, Ed. You make me want a Bigma more and more all of the time, shame on you for encouraging a poor school teacher's LBA.:-)

Paul
Paul you have made me jealous several times with your lens purchases so I'm happy to return the favor...LOL Thanks again to the kind soul that gave me this lens as a gift...Many thanks indeed! I only hope to honor them with increasing quality of the photos I take!

Dawg
Old May 5, 2008, 2:10 AM   #10

Terrific shot, clear, sharp and bright colours.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote