Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1

It looks like Pentax may be aiming to get more cameras into the big box stores:

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6556659.html

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2

Interesting, we'll probably see Pentax at Costco now, along with C & N. Ifthey follow what the othershave been doing, I'll bet it's a K200D kit. You never see the top of the line cameras at the mass marketers- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 12:44 AM   #3

Pentax needs to do something more and different. Pentax once was the film slr market leader, but fell behind and was late in coming to autofocus and then to digital while other brands took precedence, and people forgot about them. The big box stores and other retailers carry what sells best. Demand is created in part by advertising. You have seen the retailer ads in magazines and newspapers featuring only one or two big name brands -- you'd think theycarried nothing else --those ads are subsidized by the manufacturers and/or their distributors, who also provide other incentives to their dealers. Pentax needs to break the stranglehold of those two brands on the corporate resellers and bring Pentax back into the conciousness of the public at large, and be more rewarding to the retailers. They also need a high-end flagship model and wider selection of lenses to convince people of their seriousness in photography and provide a clear upgrade path that can be perceived by new entrants into the market, which they must attract, since those already heavily invested in another brand are not too likely to switch. Many of those people may not intendbuy the topmost camera or the name brand lenses, but knowingthey arethere lends an aura of quality to the entire line.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4
PDL

bper wrote:
Quote:
Interesting, we'll probably see Pentax at Costco now, along with C & N. Ifthey follow what the othershave been doing, I'll bet it's a K200D kit. You never see the top of the line cameras at the mass marketers- Bruce
This would be the second time that Pentax was in Costco. I bought my *ist Ds from them in early 2005.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 10:39 PM   #5

I hope Pentax gets on the stick soon with getting some dSLRs into stores soon while the newest rebate is still in effect.

I'm in the Atlanta area, would love to see and feel a K20D and K200D in my hands with the idea of buying one locally, even if it would cost a bit more than online. I can't find either camera here so far come heck or high water! Very frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very greatful.
JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:31 AM   #6

We've got them in the stores, so thats not the problem.

The biggest problem I see is that there is no publicity made at all.

If I just look around I see more and more people with an sony alfa, but sony makes publicity.

So I just hope Pentax wakes up.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7

If you have noticed all the ads for Mother's Day and Memorial Day sales, there has been a total absence of Pentax dslrs - Sony has penetrated the marketby their new models being included in the largely C&N ad blitz, but not Pentax, which is being relegated to a niche market forcamera geeks who read the reviews and forums.

"The codfish lays a million eggs,

The Helpful Hen lays one,

But the codfish never cackles

to inform you what she's done.

And so we scorn the codfish

and the Helpful Hen we prize,

Which indicates to thoughtful minds:

it pays to advertise."

--- Anonymous

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 3:12 PM   #8

I did a search for Pentax dealers in Atlanta and came up with mostly Wolf Camera stores. There were a few independent stores listed for other cities in Georgia, don't know enough about the state to know if they are anywhere around you.

The K20 is a lovely camera, but it shares the weight of the K10 - not lightweight at all. It's one of those that needs to be felt to decide if it's right or not.

Don't suppose you are going to Los Angeles any time soon - I could give you the name of a couple of places that have them, one which even has a demo model you can really try out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:23 PM   #9

I've called several of the Wolf Cameras in my area, but no one has either a K20D or a K200D. The one where I go most often still has a K10D and K100D Super, which has a Quantary lens on it-boo. They've been sitting there quite some time. I can't remember the prices, but they aren't cheap.

I think I'll just have to check the yellow pages for camera stores plus call every Wolf Camera in the entire Atlanta area.

It kind of sucks.
JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 8:04 PM   #10

The K10d body is close enough to the K20D and K200D to test out for feel and weight.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote