Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2008, 8:30 PM   #11

And the last one.
Attached Images

Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:00 PM   #12

Very cool pictures! Looks like the conversion worked very well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:06 PM   #13

So where did you get the conversion done? I've got a DL just sitting here havent touched it since I bought the K10.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 12:01 AM   #14

I can't say just yet. I need to make sure that he wants to do Pentax. Because of the level of tear down to do it I don't know if he wants to do it again. I am hoping that he will. I hope to hear back from him in the next couple of days. As soon as I know I will post.

Robert
Old May 9, 2008, 12:26 AM   #15

this is way cool

some guys used to do film infra red when i belonged to a camera club
and it looked real incredible

do you still have use an infra red filter on the lens?
how do you work out the exposure, from memory the filter is visually opaque
do you have to focus differently, old lenses used to have an infra red mark on them
i have a "broken" ds that still works
but i have to set the exposure
would it be viable to have it converted?

looking forward to seeing some serious attempts with it
the test ones look impressive as is

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 12:54 AM   #16

1. No the stock filters are removed from the front of the cameras sensor and an IR filter is placed there. With that you don't have to put a filter on the lens.

2. The auto exposure works pretty well, though from my first shots I am use an exposure compensation of -1/2 to -1 stop. I find some of the images are just fine and others are a little too light, but by and large the auto exposure works fine.

3. Focusing is fully automatic in automatic focus mode. You can switch to manual focus if you want. I see no need to do so. This is one of the advantages to having the camera converted vs. using a filter on the lens you don't have to worry about any auto focus issues.

4. If the DS still works except you have set the exposure manually then yes, no reason why you couldn't convert it. If the guy that did mine decided to do Pentax I have no idea what it will cost. Probably more than doing a Nikon or Canon because you have to take the Pentax much further apart.

Hope this answers your questions.

Robert
Old May 10, 2008, 8:50 AM   #17

Hello!

It's wonderful when conversions and hacks are done on equipment!

Congrats on your gumption!

I've another question, please excuse me if you've covered it in more detail elsewhere.

Is the first half of the process to remove a filter reducing infra red light?

Is the process well described anywhere?

I have a very ricketty old ds with a nasty littlecrack in or spec of dust beneath its filter, amongst other problems :

-the knobs are all but falling off with the sand damage.

-it really has no high performance function any more and changes shooting modes intermittently

- awful verticle banding noise at anything above i.s.o 200 etc etc etc....

It'll be replaced soon 'm wondering if I could have a go at lifting the filer there!

The poor thing may have a new, (brief) lease on life if I do?

I want to use it while batteries still make it go click!:?

Just foundsome stuff. Wrotmiak writes well.

I suppose you're familiar with him!

http://wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/index.html

Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 12:31 PM   #18

I didn't do the conversion. However, it is my understanding that you have to remove one or two filters from the front of the CCD and replace it with an IR filter. The only mention I have ever seen about do it yourself is here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...r-removal.html

I believe in the second post in that thread there is a link to instructions. I have no idea if they are accurate or any good but it is all I have seen.

I know with Canons and Nikons the IR conversion is pretty easy and I know the pentax is not you have to take the camera a lot farther apart. But, if you have a camera that is of no use to you converting to IR is a good way to make it useful.

Robert
Old May 10, 2008, 1:36 PM   #19

I edited one of your shots. Hope you don't mind. This is the look I prefer and I shoot infrared with my Panny FZ1v2. No conversion to the camera. Does not have a strong IR blocker so a Hoya R72 and setting white balance with it on does the trick.

It would be nice to know if this person is willing to convert another Pentax. PM me if and when you know if that would be possible.

Mahalo,

Tom
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 5:24 PM   #20

There is not doubt that when it comes to stunning black and white images IR takes the cake. I have never seen any color to black and white conversions that has the striking contrast and beauty that a black and white IR has.

I will let everyone know about the conversions as soon as I hear back. I will also try to get an idea of price, but that is probably something you will have to work out with him should he decided to do them.

Robert