Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2008, 6:06 AM   #21

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I edited one of your shots. Hope you don't mind. This is the look I prefer and I shoot infrared with my Panny FZ1v2. No conversion to the camera. Does not have a strong IR blocker so a Hoya R72 and setting white balance with it on does the trick.

It would be nice to know if this person is willing to convert another Pentax. PM me if and when you know if that would be possible.
Hi Tom,

I've kept a Panny FZ1v2 for this exact reason, though I don't do much IR stuff, but you never know. . .:-)

I don't know if I could really justify the cost of a conversion (my DS, while it has about 50K shots on it, still is doing great), and I doubt I'd use it as a dedicated IR camera enough to make it cost effective.

. . .it would be nice to be able to use ultra wide lenses, and be able to shoot without an IR pass filter, though. . .hmmmmmmm :?

Robert -- congrats on the conversion. An interesting tool for sure. You're very fortunate to have someone so capable to do such a conversion for you (doesn't seem much like a DIY project for the average hobbyist:-)).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 12:02 PM   #22

For me it is definately not a DIY project.

As for conversion, well that is something you have to decide. I don't think it would be cost effect myself, but I ended up using a Fuji A900 that I bought converted for $600 so much that I really wanted to be able to use all of my Pentax lenses including the 10-17 fisheye so I decided to go for it. The hardest part was finding someone that would attempt the conversion. To get him to do it I had to promise that if the camera got trashed that I would not hold him responsible for it. So I put the *ist on the line and fortunatly it worked out in my favor.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 12:41 PM   #23

The images in my second post above aren't available because I ran out of bandwidth for my server space. So I have moved those images to my SmugMug account. You can view them at:

http://robertbarnettphotography.smug...93963178_J8HbM

As for the actions, I am attaching them here.

Robert
Attached Files
File Type: zip ir_actions.zip (1.4 KB, 54 views)
Old May 12, 2008, 5:28 PM   #24

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I edited one of your shots. Hope you don't mind. This is the look I prefer and I shoot infrared with my Panny FZ1v2. No conversion to the camera. Does not have a strong IR blocker so a Hoya R72 and setting white balance with it on does the trick.

It would be nice to know if this person is willing to convert another Pentax. PM me if and when you know if that would be possible.
Hi Tom,

I've kept a Panny FZ1v2 for this exact reason, though I don't do much IR stuff, but you never know. . .:-)

I don't know if I could really justify the cost of a conversion (my DS, while it has about 50K shots on it, still is doing great), and I doubt I'd use it as a dedicated IR camera enough to make it cost effective.

. . .it would be nice to be able to use ultra wide lenses, and be able to shoot without an IR pass filter, though. . .hmmmmmmm :?

Robert -- congrats on the conversion. An interesting tool for sure. You're very fortunate to have someone so capable to do such a conversion for you (doesn't seem much like a DIY project for the average hobbyist:-)).

Scott

Hey Scott,

Yes I want a camera with more resolution to shoot IR. When I was back home in Hawai'i two years agoI came across a display of IR shots done by a photographer there and I was smitten ever since.

I have found out through the net that the Sigma SD14 can fill the bill. It is designed to have the IR filter removed so those who want to clean the sensor on their own can do this.

I have a Sigma SA9 film camera which I still use on occasion. Since I have lenses already I will just buy the body only. It can be had for $675 so I am ordering one just for the express purpose of shooting IR.

Mahalo,

Tom

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 7:59 PM   #25

Hello,

I went out today and gave the IR converted *ist a real test run. Here is one image it is a panorama from 8 seperate images. This one looks different because I set the camera to spot meter and spot focus it made it much more brown, I kind of like it. I have some more and I will let you all know when I post more.

Robert

http://robertbarnettphotography.smug...94911820_pBH6w
Old May 13, 2008, 10:00 PM   #26

That panorama is OUTSTANDING!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 10:20 PM   #27

Thanks. I don't know why it took me so long to think of doing an IR panorama, but it turned out great.

Robert
Old May 14, 2008, 12:46 PM   #28

Ok, I have posted over a dozen more shots take with the IR only Pentax *ist. They were shot at Howarth Park in Santa Rosa (Northern California). They were processed in Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0.

http://robertbarnettphotography.smug...UKG#295241870R

Robert
Old May 17, 2008, 2:37 AM   #29

Ok, I just heard back from the guy that converted my *ist. He is willing to do Pentax conversions. I don't know if he is going to limit it to just *ist or how much he is going to charge. If your interested I suggest you contact him and see what you can work out.

His name is Jim Chen
His e-mail address is: jimchen2005[AT]@hotmail.com

Please remove the "[AT]" to make the address work.

Robert