Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 5, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1

I am in the market for a new camera.. possibly!! If this camera will take me into the future of course I will stay with it... I need an external flash and possibly a new lense or set ... I currently have 2 55mm lenses and one 300mm lense from Tamron... Should I stick with the K110D and just buy thing's for it or upgrade/update?? Any info is nice.. for use I just take general pictures of people, family, outdoor's... not a pro just an enthusiest... (spelling)...
jamesb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 8:37 PM   #2

At some point you will upgrade your camera body but I still use my DS , older than the K110D.

For the general uses you metion it should still be fine.

A good flash would be my priority, essential for family portraits, even outdoors as a fill flash.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:46 PM   #3

I have been looking at flash's... I have found a couple models from Pentax from an online dealer for at least 50% off than suggested retail.. I guess it would depend on what I could get out of the camera and the lens's before I would make my final decision.. I just see such nice models for about the same price I paid with more MP's and other features this is missing..
Old May 5, 2008, 9:54 PM   #4

More megapixels can be nice but you have to ask yourself if you really need them. I have 16x20 prints from my K100d that look excellent but if you intend to print larger than that, or crop heavily and then print, you probably need more megapixels.

If you tend to shoot in challenging light shake reduction might be a good reason to upgrade. The K10d and K20d have much larger buffers if you like to shoot family playing sports and use burst mode.

My suggestion would be to look at the kind of shooting you are doing or want to do and figure out what improvements (in camera features) would benefit you.

I think the best advice is to spend money on better lenses before spending it on the latest body. But then again, I spent all my lens money on a new K20d the first month they were out :roll:.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5

A very hard question. The K110 is a nice camera but doesn't have anti-shake. Do you miss it with your 300mm lens? If camera shake isn't bothering you, then getting a flash and upgrading lenses makes a lot of sense. I kept my K100 and got rid of the K10 when I upgraded to the K20, partly because of issues I was having with the K10 and partly because I just like the quality pictures I get from the K100, and often don't need the extra mp. And I'm reasonably happy with my lens collection right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Good advice fromTim and Harriet. I think the thing to do is look at your photos and ask ifthere is something missing. Then decide if a new body will provide that missing piece. Anti shake could be a big deal as could a faster burstrate. But if your shots aresharp and you are getting the action pictures you want, then why change?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 12:32 AM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Good advice from¬*Tim and Harriet.¬* I think the thing to do is look at your photos and ask if¬*there is something missing.¬* Then decide if a new body will provide that missing piece.¬* Anti shake could be a big deal as could a faster burst¬*rate.¬* But if your shots are¬*sharp and you are getting the action pictures you want, then why change?¬*
Hi James,

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. "If it ain't broke. . ." :-)

Unless features on an upgrade body would give you a significant advantage, your best bang for the buck in the long run is to upgrade lenses and/or add accessories that will add to the IQ or versatility of the camera you have.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 1:22 PM   #8

I now have a DL, a K10D and my wife has a K100D Super. Of the three I feel the K100D is probably the best all-around camera, small light and excellent image quality. Since the K110 is only missing the SR feature I would agree that if you are still happy with the image quality spend your money on useful upgrades like a flash. Camera bodies come and go over time but good lenses and well thought out accessories can carry on.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 11:58 PM   #9

I think I may just stick with what I have and with the mentality of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ... Just need some better quality lens's and a flash... I don't know if it's the lens' that i'm using or the camera it's self but some images just don't seem to be as sharp as they should or could be... Can't seem to get flawless sharpness.. is that more of a camera or lens issue?
Old May 7, 2008, 4:18 AM   #10

jamesb2007 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if it's the lens' that i'm using or the camera it's self but some images just don't seem to be as sharp as they should or could be... Can't seem to get flawless sharpness.. is that more of a camera or lens issue?
I find that it really is hit-or-miss with manual focus lenses, especially if used at wide apertures. Outside on a bright day using f11 or f16 for distant subjects are the only ones I can have any consistency with. Some people are very good at manual focus, others, like myself, struggle with it (when I shot with a manual K1000 film camera it had a split image rangefinder focus screen).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote