Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1

A short break in West Wales, made shorter by too much rain. Luckily we did have a couple of very nice days.

Looking at the photos taken I think I still don't take as much care as I ought to. So these are the best / least worst.

We followed a horse box on the approach to Broad Haven (the place where we were staying) and after unpacking I saw the owner and the occupant of the horse box doing this:

looked like a lot of fun.

Being just around the corner from Milford Haven there are often a number of tankers in St Brides Bay. I think I counted 8 at one point. usually they are quite a way out but this was fairly close o the beach.

As usual I managed to snap a couple of birds:

And also as usual, I have no idea what they are!

Mind you, it wasn't just birds that ended up being photographed.

A Gloucester Old Spot.

Staying on the subject of nature, is there no beautiful place that man can't ruin?

I suppose I'll finish with my usual "point the camera at the sun" shots. The first I like despite the blown highlights (is that the correct phrase?)

And one more, but no sun this time

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 12:44 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice series and good quality images. truly enjoy the digital travelogues that folks post on this forum.All of them appear very sharply focused. I am unable to read the Exif data--therefore I'd like to know what lenses were used.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3

That looks like great fun, cantering on the beach. And I can see why you like that first sunset, in spite of the blown highlight of the sun. It's a nice series.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 1:25 PM   #4

Thank you Jay & Harriet

Jay - all the shots were taken using the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG, which is not surprising as I still only have that and the 18-55mm kit lens. I find that I use the Sigma as my walkaround lense as I don't feel I have worked out how best to use the short zoom. As for sharpness, it's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of PP :-)

I do find the Sigma very frustrating (although it could be me) as sometimes nothing seems to be in focus and at other times everything is sharp. I have set the default aperture to F8 as I read that any wider and it's too soft. It definitely goood light but that in itself isn't a guarantee of success.

Keith

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5

Looks like a nice place for a vacation. I don't know what the finch is, but the second bird is a Barn Swallow. The in focus pictures are very good. I doubt the focus problem is the lens - you may have run afoul of themultiple focus points - for a test, try selecting the center point for spot focus (like spot metering) and see if your average improves.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6

Beautiful sunset, the whole series is terrific but number 6, LOL.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7

Keith,

These are all really nice. I really like the sixth one. Nice shot.

I've been looking at the 70-300 range lately. I want some more length than my 50-200. I see there is a Pentax, Tamron and Sigma of this range. Still trying to determine if any is better than the other. They all seem to be about the same price. Within my budget. Of course, my husband says it's not in my budget. But, what does he know!:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8

Patty, it you are interested in the close-up utility of this type of lens, consider the Tamron, which has a 1:2 ratio; the Sigma has (or the earlier versions, at least) a 1:3 ratio, so the Tamron gets you a 30% advantage. I am not familiar with the current Pentax lens' close-up ability, if any. The Tamronseems very popular with forum members,although some toutthe APO version of the Sigma as well.
Old May 11, 2008, 1:30 PM   #9

Thanks, Penolta. I keep seeing different macro numbers for what I think are the same lense on EB. This ad here even shows two in one. 1:2 and 1:8. What am I not understand here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

I already have the Sigma 28-80 so probably wouldn't get this set. Just get notified every time something 70-300 is posted.

Patty

p.s. Keith - sorry for hijacking your thread.

Adding more to my comment. I see now that what I read on the above post is the 28-80 is 1:8. So, is there a difference with the Di LD lens that some show 1:38 not 1:2. or, is it the fact that you only get the 1:2 at 300mm. I see the lens does macro from 180 - 300mm.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 4:24 PM   #10

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
is there a difference with the Di LD lens that some show 1:38 not 1:2. or, is it the fact that you only get the 1:2 at 300mm. I see the lens does macro from 180 - 300mm.
The lens is 1:2 at 300mm (3.1ft) and 3.8 at 180mm (4.9 ft) when in macro mode (you have to throw a switch on the lens to get below 5 ft). This is like having a 1:2 macro lens with a longer working distance (feet instead of inches), which is useful because you can't always get within inches of your subject, and alsoyou won't get caught without a macro lens when you need one unexpectedly or have to stop and swap lenses for a quick shot when the telephoto is mounted on the camera.