Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2008, 1:11 PM   #1

With all the hoopla of Hot Pixels... I went out with my camera to see if I could create a nice hot sensor to display some of these alleged things.

All I got was this...Thank god for 14.6million pixels..... I was able to use to cover up all those hot pixels and rescue this image.

Thank God I love to take photographs and not Pixel Peep.:|
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2008, 2:13 PM   #2

Not bad, not bad at all (he said with a stiff upper lip).

Thanks for keeping my expectations high for when I get my K20D back from warranty service.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 5:01 PM   #3

LOL! Love the picture! I do lurk over at the place that's been talking about hot pixels. Since I find live view very limited as far as usefulness, and when I do use it, I don't use it for long, I figure it won't bother me in the least. Besides, as you pointed out, there's lots of pixels, and a program that maps out hot ones.

The only thing that might concern me about such things - hot pixels (at least as far as my K10) came and went. So if the program computes per picture it's OK by me. If it permanently were to disregard pixels that are hot today, it would be too bad if they were to be fine tomorrow.

The other thing that I find humorous - so many people said how lousy the K10 was when it first came out. It did have some problems (vertical banding being one of them, focus issues for another). But now some of those very same people are saying what a work-horse the K10 is, and how it's almost a "classic" compared to the K20. So here's what I think they would like to do with all the K20 cameras:

K20, A*300 lens (run through neat image - accidentally shot using ISO 3200)

Of course, maybe they just want something to take a big bite out of things:

Significantly cropped to delete the street light and the tree, taken from more than just across the street like the other one was. Taken at ISO 100 - I had finally noticed that the camera was set for 3200!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4

Peacekeeper and Harriet all your shots are
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 11:34 PM   #5

I am not a big fan of Live View on any camera, but I will say that it is very useful when shooting macros in manual focus mode.

I hand held that shot and simply got closer and closer hoping the grasshopper would take off. He was tiny. :shock:

When he got to the size I wanted int he live view I simply manually adjusted the focus and took the shot. :|

There is obviously a lag between losing the live view and regaining it, but that has nothing I believe to do with shutter lag and getting the shot exactly at the moment you press the shutter release.
Old May 10, 2008, 5:54 AM   #6

Peacekeeper wrote:
Quote:
I am not a big fan of Live View on any camera, but I will say that it is very useful when shooting macros in manual focus mode.
I have not played with the Live View very much and have no useful shots to show for my few efforts with it, but I'm beginning to warm to it a little. The use you mention is one time when it could come in handy. I think there could be several good uses when working off a tripod, particularly if you're using a remote shutter trigger.

Paul

BTW.....I love the grasshopper. Detail is really great.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 8:47 AM   #7

Live view is useful when you are off-roading, can't get out of the car, and want to take a picture that your rear view mirror would normally block. Rest the camera on the mirror and use live view to frame. The time I used it this way, the sunlight made it difficult to see the LCD for focusing- I let the AF work.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:47 PM   #8

Another one using live view, manual focus.

Taken this afternoon.
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2008, 2:33 PM   #9

And Just in case you think the yellow bits in the middle of the flower are not sharp...They are! :blah: A crop from the above photo.

PK
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2008, 3:39 PM   #10

Were these taken jpg or raw? Not that it matters particularly, but I'm finding that I use the jpg version mostly. And I wondered if you are doing the same thing, or using the raw files - these are really awesome.