Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2008, 5:50 PM   #1

My husband and I went out this afternoon to find some barns. As usual, they didn't come out as I saw them. Also, hadn't realized I had my camera set for ISO1600, but considering, I don't think these came out too bad. I'm fixing them on my laptop and am not used to the screen, so may change my mind about how they look when I get to my desktop.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 5:56 PM   #2

I can't decide which of the next two I like better. I like the fence showing in the one, but the detail of the other. Need to clone out the new houses in the background now that I'm looking at the one. I had tried to get down and take the photo without the homes showing, but I'm not that nimble.
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2008, 5:56 PM   #3

The other one.
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2008, 5:58 PM   #4

This last one I had to face the sun because of the posted signs all over the place. This barn is on the grounds of the local jail. My husband kept waiting for someone to come out and tell me to stop taking photos.

Anyway, I did the solarizing effect on it and thought it made it look pretty interesting.
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2008, 6:56 PM   #5

Hi Patty

Great Shots. I Think that I like the 2nd Shot of The whole barn the Best. Tell Your husband that Im with Him.
I am currently involved in a project For Local historical Society. Myself and others are driving around Town and Documenting all the local barns that are still standing. They are fast Disappearing in This Area as it turns more residential. The Society has issued us Ids just incase we are questioned by the home owners, but they told us do not Argue and Stay on Public Propertys, just incase Someone has a issue With Us photographing the barn we are to Leave immediatly.
So I cringle While taking the pictures that someone will Yell at me or call the police.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 7:07 PM   #6

Hi Again

BTW Happy Mothers Day

I Hope you Dont mind, i played around with the second Shot. I just got PSE 6 a few weeks ago and am now just getting To Fool with it

Here you Go

Phil
Attached Images

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 7:08 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series Patty! I like #3 the best especially that it is framed by the branches and leaves! BTW, you might want to check your sensor for dust...there are a couple of specks on the upper left side of image 1.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 8:06 PM   #8

Very nice series! Old barns are so much fun to photograph - I wish we had some around here (no such luck). Your pictures give me the urge to go somewhere different to take pictures - it's getting boring around here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 8:15 PM   #9

Really nice series, Patty. Every day I drive by an old barn that is perhaps the most spectacular one I've ever seen. Made of native stone, it was still in use in a home-delivery dairy operation until about two years ago when the 90 year old owner decided he was tired of milking the cows everyday. About a month ago, I noticed one end had collapsed, and I'm sure the rest of it won't be long in following. A reminder of what we're losing with these pieces of Americana.

Your shots are wonderful, and I definitely like the one of the full barn best.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 9:16 PM   #10

Thanks, Phil, Jay, Harriet and Paul. Coming back to it now, I do like the second one better. It's more peaceful to me. And, thanks for ridding the photo of the newer homes, Phil. Nice job for only having the program 2 weeks. I haven't upgraded to PSE6 yet. Probably will to 7 when they come out with it. Seems they upgrade every year any more.

No one seemed to mind me taking photos of these three barns. The fourth one (not shown here), my husband said the owner was watching from their newer back barn. And, then drove out to where I was and by real slow. He seemed okay when he realized I had a camera in hand. Guess he couldn't see that from where he was. Sometimes I've told people I'm in a photography class if they question me. That's usually impresses them that I want to photograph something of theirs. Although, I do still cringe when I first see someone watching me.

Yep, I saw the dust when I was playing around with them in PSE. Thought I'd taken care of it. I'll take it to Ritz tomorrow and see if they'll blow it out for me. I'm still afraid to do it myself. It's weird. It always seems to be the same area that gets the dust. Top left hand corner mostly.

Thanks again, all. Patty