Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2008, 4:04 AM   #1

Having fixed the Tair 300 4.5 lens on my 'new' Fotosnaiper I was soon thinking of ways to use it with my Pentax DSLR. It proved to be really easy.

The Fotosnaiper bracket has two pins that are lifted when the trigger is pulled, the one on the right in this picture comes up inside a socket and normally engages a shutter release on the base of the Zenit camera.

All that is required is something in the socket to make an electrical contact and fire the DSLR. This is a piece of insulating material with a simple metal contact and a single wire to the plug that fits the Pentax camera.

Here it is in position in the socket ready for the camera to be mounted to the bracket.

Thats it folks!

Seems to work too, just c*** the lens mechanism, select the desired F stop, focus, first trigger pressure stops the lens down, more trigger takes the shot. I just need some willing subjects, every time the cat sees me pointing it at him he comes running and is immediately within minimum focus range!

I set the camera to Av, manual focus and enable manual aperture is selected in the camera configuration.

BTW, you also need a M42 to K adapter.

*** what the? Whatever, just "rooster" the lens...:lol:
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 4:50 AM   #2

Hmmm.... wrong forum I guess..:roll:
Old May 16, 2008, 6:31 AM   #3

Hi John,
I've never heard of your gizmo t looks good, is it available easily in NZ
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 6:33 AM   #4

That is an interesting conversion John and you did a good job with the illustrations. Such a conversion would be beyond my skills I am afraid, even if I had a photosnaiper in stock to convert.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 8:06 AM   #5

John,

There are places here that if I was seen walking around with that thing I'd be in jail!...LOL.

It does look very functional, though. Do you have any images to share taken with this setup?

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
John,

There are places here that if I was seen walking around with that thing I'd be in jail!...LOL.
here too
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 4:29 PM   #7

Simon, the Zenit 'Fotosnaiper' was made in Russia for a number of years and there are a lot of them around the world, they also seem to be still trickling out of Russia new though production stopped some years ago. My one had been bought from Russia in 1999 having been manufactured in 1997. When it arrived the buyer found the aperture indent spring (the thing that goes 'click' when changing the 'f' setting) was broken so he put it aside. When I got it it was only the work of one evening to make another spring to make the Tair 300 4.5 lens operational again.

Tim, if you can tie your shoe laces I am confident you could make one of these!:lol: It is just a cylinder of insulating material about 1/2" diameter and maybe not quite so long. A small hole is drilled through the cylinder along its axis and a single wire threaded through then soldered to something conductive, for example a brass washer of 3/8" diameter. The other end of the wire is soldered to a phone plug that matches your camera.

Dennis, Robar,that could happen around here too but only if I was pointing it at bedroom windows!:lol:

It is Saturday and the weather is good, Her Indoors is getting ready for us to go 'out' so I will put it in the car! Could be the first field trial!
Old May 17, 2008, 2:20 AM   #8

Action shot at the beach!

Following a moving target is so easy with the Fotosnaiper rig. I set the focus and run burst of exposures while she ran through the focus zone. This is with the lens wide open, 4.5. and shows the full frame.

Old May 17, 2008, 12:47 PM   #9

That's really an impressive shot! I can see why you took the effort to make this work, that's some set-up! And I wouldn't have trouble around my local home area using something like that - they allow hunting in the national forest. On the other hand, I sure wouldn't want to take something like that to work!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:28 AM   #10

Dear Mr. Hill,

I would a great help if could get just a few more details about the switch you made for the FotoSnaiper to work with your Pentax. I just purchased a FotoSnaiper and attempting to make it work with a Sony A100 DSLR. I have the necessary shutter release cables, but am not sure exactly how you built your devise.

Would you please send me an email so I might correspond with you on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jake Schmidt, Private Investigator

[email protected]

Beverly Hills, CA, USA
Zebulin is offline   Reply With Quote