Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1

currently considering this model as it seems to have most I need and is one on the lowest priced started dslr's around

(looking for lightweight, good quality, AAbatteries a bonus, for africa safari)

haven't had one in my hands yet, which i know is essential, but will try to handle one coming weekend.

Any reason for me to look ar k2o0d, or k10d as well or is there "little to gain"?

Any warnings on what to look out for and check prior to purchase?
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 1:38 PM   #2

I would not embark on a safari with a newly introduced model, as any "bugs" that might not have been corrected could cost you the loss of irreplaceable images. Also, if I were new to these cameras and the safari were impending, I would go for the simpler model with the lesser learning curve so I would not make mistakes that would again cause the loss of images. The K100D is a proven, capable camera that gives excellent results; the Super is an upgrade that has the sensor self-cleaning feature from the K10D, which would be invaluable in dusty environments if you change lenses.The K200D is new. For these and the other reasons you mentioned the K100D Super may be the one to get -- it is discontinued, so grab one while you can. On the other hand, the K10D (also discontinued) has a sealed body, an advantage in the field, but you must have similarly protected lenses to take full advantage of that feature (its replacement, the K20D is new and more costly). If your budget is limited and you cannot buybetter lenses, there is litltle point in a more expensive body - put the money saved intobetter quality lenses.

Just my opinion - others may differ.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 3:09 PM   #3

From experience I'd say: If you have the opportunity, buy the camera where you can try it before purchase or can make an agreement to change it immediately if there is something wrong with your sample.

I'm heading for Africa in June, and to be well equipped I bought a new camera body (K20D) a month ago. Unfortunately I got a bad copy (doesn't happen that often, but it does happen), the seller didn't want to exchange it so I have had to send it in for warranty service. I'm pretty sure I'll get it back in time, but I'm happy I bought it long enough before the trip. If I had found out about the problem when in Africa I would haveflooded the Rift Valley with tears.

Otherwise I agree with Penolta: the K100D Super is no doubt a very good camera, get it cheap and spend your money on quality lenses. They are more important for the result, all DSLR camera bodies are very good (but not all lenses, ask for advice here before you spend). You'll need a tele lens ~300 mm for the safari, and maybe a tele converter.

And do get high mAh batteries (as high as you can find, I have 2700 mAh for my DS body), the NiMh batteries wear out fast (too fast). The higher the mAh, the more recharge cycles before they loose their powers.

BTW, Africa is huge. Where are you going?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 6:11 PM   #4

The K200D is basically a rebadged a K10 with the addition of AA batteries & the mode dial providing additional features found on the DS/K100 - IMHO.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 6:29 PM   #5

Kjell: Just curious, but why did the seller not want to replace it? The only reason I can think of is that it was a used K20D. That's a bummer to have to send it in for repair so soon.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:46 PM   #6

There've been a number of good reasons for getting the K100 Super, and I can't argue with any of them. Besides, its lighter than the K200 or the K10 (the heaviest of the three). I've kept the K100 as my second body (I got rid of the K10 when I bought the K20) just because it is lighter and less complicated. It's very easy to accidentally change something with the K10 - it's not a problem if you check all of your settings each time you start shooting (or take it out of the bag, depending on the type of bag you have). If I want something I can grab quickly and have a reasonable expectation that I'll get a good picture without having to think about it - I grab the K100.

On the other hand, having the extra mp from the K200 would be nice. But a longer lens on the K100 would beat a cropped picture on the K200 with a shorter lens.

What to check prior to purchase - make sure it feels comfortable in your hands, and that you can reach all the controls.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 12:36 AM   #7

tsquare wrote:
Quote:
Kjell: Just curious, but why did the seller not want to replace it? The only reason I can think of is that it was a used K20D. That's a bummer to have to send it in for repair so soon.
They (one of Swedens most reputable camera sellers) meant that it was Pentax Sweden's problem to deal with warranty issues, not their's. The camera wasn't broken, but poorly adjusted at the assembly line. Severe focusing error.

Kjell
Old May 13, 2008, 5:30 AM   #8

thanks for the advice which confirmed what i thought anyway, good to have it confirmed though

kjell; plan is to take a trip starting in zimbabwe (or zambia,as it looks like now) through botswana and finishing in namibia, lots of wildlife and wildnature anticipated

gerbo
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 11:01 AM   #9

I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Avoiding Zim unfortunately seems like a wise decision right now.

Myself I'm going for a South African odyssey, from northern KwazuluNatal to Cape Town. Lots of scenery, an elephant or two and meeting interesting people.

Kjell