Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Okay. So, it isn't the greatest photo in the world. But, it just cracked me up the way this guy kept walking across the water at high speed. I never could get the settings right to capture him. Finally realized I should have just set the camera to sport, but by then it was really getting dark.

There were three other couples with newborns, one other matched pair and this guy that I guess was "courting" one of the females. He kept doing this and speed chasing her as flat to the water as he could get honking the whole time.

Patty

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 11:22 PM   #2

Here's his other move. There is a bush between me and the bush the female on the right is flying behind. At least I'm assuming it's the male chasing the female. I'm not really up on my goose mating rituals. :-)

Patty
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3

#1 definitely has an artistic value, I like it a lot.

This is the very first shot I took with my then brand new DS. I hadn't even started to look at the mode dial, this was taken in portrait mode:-):
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 7:43 AM   #4

completely agree, nr 1 has something.

Might even be better than when you would have gotten a 'sharp' version.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 4:56 PM   #5

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Okay.¬* So, it isn't the greatest photo in the world.¬* But, it just cracked me up the way this guy kept walking across the water at high speed.¬* I never could get the settings right to capture him.¬* Finally realized I should have just set the camera to sport, but by then it was really getting dark.

There were three other couples with newborns, one other matched pair and this guy that I guess was "courting" one of the females.¬* He kept doing this and speed chasing her as flat to the water as he could get honking the whole time.

Patty¬*
Patty

Panning shots have been difficult to manage. They happen to be very artistic indeed.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 10:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. I did like how the first one had come out, but thought it was just me liking my own photo.

Had meant to go over today since I'm off the rest of the week, but never made it down there. Maybe tomorrow.

Patty
Old May 14, 2008, 7:45 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Absolutely love the first image--I'd say you have created a whole new genre of panning! To me it clearly displays how much effort the geese seem to exert in order to get airborne! I could not read the Exif and am interested to know the technical details of lens, shutter speed and f-stop.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 7:54 AM   #8

Thanks, Jay. As far as the panning, I have absolutely no idea what I should or shouldn't be doing to get shots. Just knew I was determined to get this guy in action. I actually think I'm going to see how it comes out printed. I need to start looking for photos to submit to the fairs in the fall.

K100D, Pentax 50-200 @ 200mm, 1/20 sec, F8.0, AP, spot metering, ISO200 shot in RAW.

Patty

p.s. He wasn't actually taking off. He was chasing the other one around the pond like this. After he did this for a while, he'd get down real low like in the second shot and run into her.