Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1

The geese I've been watching for two weeks finally have babies. I think one set hatched yesterday I saw this morning on the way to work.By the time I went back at lunch to photograph, another set was out sitting on the grass. Then, tonight after work a third set was just sitting with mom and dad. I couldn't get near the two newest ones. Other side of the pond.

Besides, at lunch the first set wouldn't let me near the babies. But, by tonight they saw me coming and got in the water and swam across to greet me. Not that I was all that crazy about them coming right up to me. Goose teeth (??) can hurt. The closest I daredlet them get tonight wasabout20 feet.

Again, I'm not happy with how blurry these are. Was shooting in auto focus because of the time factor. But, I'm not sure if I should have changed the settings to get better images, was moving too much, or what. Anyway, here they are. This is what I was really after when I saw the others doing their dance.

Patty

This first one is a huge crop of the original. Maybe a 12th of the photo.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 11:35 PM   #2

I swear there were six this morning when I first went by. But, by lunch time only these four guys were there. There were 16 adult geese on this little pond. So, I wouldn't think foxes would come near. But,....
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Here's mom (or dad) sqaucking at me to get away.
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4

This was tonight when they were coming to me. Although, shaking their heads at me this time. Since they'd gotten in the water and come across the pond I didn't think they were afraid of me. But, the closer they got, the more they shook their heads. Either way I was backing up as I was taking these photos.
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2008, 8:01 PM   #5

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
This was tonight when they were coming to me. Although, shaking their heads at me this time. Since they'd gotten in the water and come across the pond I didn't think they were afraid of me. But, the closer they got, the more they shook their heads. Either way I was backing up as I was taking these photos.
Do be careful. When little ones are around they get very protective. Especially if something has taken one or two. If the lighting is very dim up the ISO and the exposure compensation for faster shutter speeds so they won't blur as much! All in all very nicely done!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanks, Dawg. I had upped the ISO to 1600 on some of them. But, hadn't changed exposure compensation. Can you elaborate on that one? I'm still trying to learn all the different +/- things I can change. Which particular one are you talking about. I have the K100 (no super).

Thanks, Patty
Old May 13, 2008, 10:06 PM   #7

Could be large Northern Pike or Musky if you have these fish in your waters.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote