Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2008, 7:17 PM   #1

I can get a K20d and battery grip for a very good price nowadays.

I have a K100d (not super, so no SDM)

Lenses:
FA 43mm/1.9
FA 50mm/1.4
DA 21mm/3.2
DA 40mm/2.8
DA 50-200mm
Vivitar S1 105mm/2.5

I am interested in getting both the FA 31mm/1.8 and FA 77mm/1.8 eventually.

Main draws of the K20d is:
-bigger size
-better SR
-'better' AF
-Much lower noise
-Super configurable/customizable
-Pentaprism
-No BS li-ion battery

I will not be selling the k100d. It is perfect to slap on one of the DA limiteds and lug around everywhere, because it's pretty small.

Things I need to buy are:
-A plane ticket (very soon)
-Down payment on a used car (soonish)

I plan to work massive overtime for the next while.

So.... Buy the k20D+ battery grip?

(Coming soon, some pics using a friend's Sigma 18-250, just to draw your attention.)
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 9:25 PM   #2

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
I can get a K20d and battery grip for a very good price nowadays.

I have a K100d (not super, so no SDM)

Lenses:
FA 43mm/1.9
FA 50mm/1.4
DA 21mm/3.2
DA 40mm/2.8
DA 50-200mm
Vivitar S1 105mm/2.5

I am interested in getting both the FA 31mm/1.8 and FA 77mm/1.8 eventually.

Main draws of the K20d is:
-bigger size
-better SR
-'better' AF
-Much lower noise
-Super configurable/customizable
-Pentaprism
-No BS li-ion battery

I will not be selling the k100d. It is perfect to slap on one of the DA limiteds and lug around everywhere, because it's pretty small.

Things I need to buy are:
-A plane ticket (very soon)
-Down payment on a used car (soonish)

I plan to work massive overtime for the next while.

So.... Buy the k20D+ battery grip?

(Coming soon, some pics using a friend's Sigma 18-250, just to draw your attention.)
Gazander

There really Is no right answer. The only person that can answer that question is You. Is there a problem with the K100d?? If not, Then since they are going to Be large, IMHO You Should Concentrate on Your other expenses First. There Will Always be a newer and Better Camera.

Just my two cents

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

Gazander,

No input on the camera buy except that I would also like to make that jump, but have had massive vet bills lately and will need a new car soon. Oh, and I'm looking at the 70-300mm right now since my husband didn't seem to have a problem when I mentioned it the other day. Now, that car is a different story. I'm test driving one for 5 hours tomorrow. Told them I needed to drive it longer than a 15 minute ride.

But, I had to comment on your new avatar. I am going to have nghtmares after seeing that image. What is it?:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4

How badly do you want the camera?

I have both the K100 and the K20. I can manually focus both cameras equally. The K10/K20 viewfinder is slightly better (some people think its much better, but I don't), but not enough for me to want to buy a new camera.

It certainly has less noise than the K10 (at least that was true with both of my cameras), and I think it has less noise than the K100, but it isn't as big of a difference. I need to really test it, but the days are getting too long to use my favorite noise testing situation - shooting before dawn.

My opinion is that the SR is definitely better, but then I don't have a problem with the K100, really.

The K20 is bigger AND heavier. It offers more controls on the camera body which is nice, and you can configure it easily. However, many of those controls are offered on the K100, just buried in menus.

SDM is great - I love it. However, I notice that the two lenses high on your radar are both FA lenses, so is the SDM important to you? As far as regular AF - it seems better than the K100 to me, but again it's a relative better. It's certainly significantly better than my K10 which had occasional focus problems.

Can't argue about the battery, though I haven't had much complaintonce I switched to hybrids. Since the K100 isn't my primary camera, it's nice to have batteries that are ready when I do want to use it. In the past I always had to charge batteries the night before I wanted to use the camera - nothing spontaneous was possible.

The K20 takes outstanding pictures, I'm having a blast with mine and don't regret buying it one bit. Should you follow my suit? Perhaps not - there's lots of reasons not to buy a new camera. It comes down to how long you can resist that new camera urge...

P.S. - Edited to add: The coolest feature the K20 has is the dust alert feature. That's such a neat feature, I use it fairly often, to keep an eye for any dust that I might not have noticed. It saves from discovering dust AFTER you've taken some critical pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5

i'll be the voice of reason.

plane tickets aren't getting any cheaper with the cost of fuel going up every day. the closer you get to your departure date, the more expensive they become. get these as soon as possible.

a car comes before a camera. the car is an essential part to your livelihood and would be hard to live without. a k20d, not so much especially since you already have a k100d.

the k20d will contine to drop in price the longer you wait. i'd say hold off and get what you really need first. then splurge on what you want.

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 9:46 PM   #6

The avatar is from a video game. It's from a fictitious TV show called address unknown, where the guy is going insane, but not really. I can try to find a clip for you. It's not that scary

Mtngirl, i've really enjoyed your threads about the K20d. Looks like a winner, for sure. I want one

Darn that voice of reason.
You're right of course. Plane ticket is non negotiable and a car would be very nice (public transport is getting hard to bear after several years day in, day out)

Sigma zoom stalker pics! I liked the versatility (18-200+ in one lens is amazing)

But it is SOOOFT. Limited primes have ruined me. I hope DA* are better. DA50-200 I think is a nicer lens overall, though i did not have it with me, so can't compare.

This girl talked on the phone for what seemed like hours. Must have been a lad, she blushed a lot. Not camera shy either. She smiled at us a couple of times.

I love how this one turned out. Beautiful women are a great subject :|

If you look at her jeans you can see how soft the lens is.

Old May 14, 2008, 9:48 PM   #7

Now for something entirely different...

Skittles vodka!

Shot with DA40

Old May 15, 2008, 12:01 AM   #8

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
No input on the camera buy except that I would also like to make that jump, but have had massive vet bills lately and will need a new car soon. Oh, and I'm looking at the 70-300mm right now since my husband didn't seem to have a problem when I mentioned it the other day. Now, that car is a different story. I'm test driving one for 5 hours tomorrow. Told them I needed to drive it longer than a 15 minute ride.

But, I had to comment on your new avatar. I am going to have nghtmares after seeing that image. What is it?:-)

Patty
Hi patty,

What car are you considering?

Here is the segment from the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys

Edit: you might want to stop at minute 7. It gets....... angry sounding.