Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1

I'm still not completely happy with this set of silhouettes. This time I gave up on trying to use the flash for the sharp light, and used natural light. Maybe I'm just too tired and need to ignore photography right now, but I could use some suggestions for whether these new approaches are worth exploring some more, or if I should just give up this line of thought, too.

First, traditional urban skyline:

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2008, 12:25 AM   #2

Construction Cranes:
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2008, 12:28 AM   #3

Silhouettes and shadows.

Does this work? I took another one that was closer and concentrated on one wire, but thought it lost the interesting pattern, which is what caught my eye. I could also shoot it wider (I didn't this morning) to see if that would work better. Or is this just one of those things that doesn't photograph well? I can't decide whether it's total junk or interesting.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2008, 12:29 AM   #4

Last one - a small silhouette.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2008, 1:06 AM   #5

Trying again. I had written this whole thing about what I thought of each image and lost it when I opened one of the images to look at it again and then closed it not realizing it was closing IE.

Anyway, here goes again. I struggled this afternoon trying to get something. My first idea didn't pan out, but found something that I'd never thought of. Am still going to try some other things as the month goes on. I am finding that I really like silhouettes more than I had thought.

On your images, the first one makes a good silhouette (imo), but I personally think it's too boring with just the straight lines. I like the second image, but think it could be better if zoomed in more on just the cranes. Like maybe taken from below the cranes??? The third one I really like. That's my type of thing I like to photograph. The fourth image is good. I really like it and how the leaf just above the small silhouette is in focus.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 7:42 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My 7 cents worth (that's 2 cents opinion + 5 cents fuel surcharge):-):

Image 1: Good silhouette but not sure the subject is of particular interest or character

Image 2: Too much light on the subject to make it a silhouette

Image 3: Hmm...the shadows seem to attract my attention more than the silhhouette

Image 4: The main subject seems to be the area of attention vs. the silhouette

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 9:14 AM   #7

Very interesting reactions so far. I thought the first one was a boring sunrise (not the one I would have wanted, but that's something I can't control). What I was looking for was the urban look - mostly vertical and horizontal lines all at different heights - it's interesting that Patty sees that part of it as boring. It probably is a reflection of my general dislike for major cities that I can't pull off an interesting skyline picture.

The cranes are at least a half mile (maybe more) from where I'm standing. I thought they were nicely silhouetted against the early morning sky, and the dim light on the rooftops in the foreground (most of Westwood) separated them from the silhouetted cranes. The days are too long for me to get a picture of the cranes where I'm closer but still have the early morning light.

The last two were more my effort to be less "hit you over the head" with the subject, and trying to do something more unique. I like the wires because of the shadows - where does the silhouette start and where does the shadow start? It's a mysterious pattern that made me take a closer look when I was walking by in the parking structure. It's not my normal type of picture and I wasn't sure it worked at all. The last one is definitely my type of picture, and the original on my monitor at home is much brighter green.

I've also tried for symbolism, trying for a silhouetted fence posts and the scene beyond, but I haven't been able to pull that one off yet - I've had DOF issues. This is one topic I've really been struggling with.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:33 AM   #8

Hi,

I like the third one the best. To me it is interesting and something different. Not the same old type of silhouette shot.

It works. why take the normal type of shots. That is what makes photography fun. It is easy to get a silhouette shot, But not silhouette and shadow combo that is interesting.

But maybe this just the way I look at things. I don't want to shoot the same thing that everyone else shoots or frame things so they fall in the center of the picture. Shots like that may turn out great but to me are a little boring..

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:32 AM   #9

Here's one that I quite like taken using a Tamron 18-250mm on a *istDS

Attached Images

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:09 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
Here's one that I quite like taken using a Tamron 18-250mm on a *istDS

Nice one! As some one who has enjoyed many a sunset walk with the family on tropical beaches, this picture talks to me. I recommend entering it in this month's challenge.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote