Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2008, 5:09 PM   #1

I had to try a white flower as a test as I usually find that white blows out very quickly.

Using the Sigma DG500 (-1 compensation) with a Stofen diffuser. Old Vivitar f3.5 macro lens at f16, ISO 100, manual focus.

The setup for now

The flower

I tried a film grain look in black and white - really impressed the wife!

I really like this setup. So much easier than calculating the exposure myself. I can see why those who take the flash off camer love it so.

I did find that using a K-mount macro lens meant that the flash fired at full power, so it is back to manual calculations ( I think the lens will go back to eBay!)

As usual, comment are welcome

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 5:41 PM   #2

Darren,
very nice detail in white.. your rig looks a lot mine and i think I'll start a class action suit.. getting the flash off camera does wonders.. i have updated my diffuser to an omnibounce..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 5:49 PM   #3

As it happens Roy, your rig has been in my mind since you first posted it a couple of years ago, so I knew roughly what I had to piece together.

As I said, I also got the Vivitar 90mm f2.8 k-mount lens. - Really sharp, and does 1:1 with no adapters. But, being a k-mount means no auto flash, so I may get rid of it.

For those that want to achieve great macro shots, Roy's rig seem to work the best.

Dal

Old May 16, 2008, 6:00 PM   #4

D,
glad someone got something from it. i've also upgraded the grip to a pistol grip..as far as the flash goes is why i'll keep the DS because of the TTL ability.. your lens is quite a cult legend..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 7:21 PM   #5

To be honest, that is why I bought it.

Using available light it is fine. I daresay for the sake of manaul adjustment I could keep it, but then there may be someone out there who will use it more than I do. I think I will play with it for a bit longer.

The DS is still the best Pentax dSLR out there. I don't think I would part with it if it were mine. The TTL metering lets it compete on a level platform with the Nikon cameras, which are supposed to be the best at flash work.

As regards the pistol grip, is this so that it houses a remote? Or is it just easier to hold? I tend to hold the lens with my left hand and support the weight of the flash bar on my left forearm. Seems to keep it steady.

Dal