Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2008, 6:56 PM   #1

I posted these pictures in another forum but I am new here and I want to make new friends. I took my lunch break to try out the close up flower shots with my Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro on flowers.

[align=center]
Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

#5 lose detail & texture on this

[/align]

I have two other manual close up lens that are quite good on flowers and bugs but I find the Tamron quite capable, sharp and really great for its price, I paid $90 for a used copy. I know that many people may shy away from this lens due to purple fringe but I find the good close up make up the lackings for me, your thoughts are welcome.
hinioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 9:48 PM   #2

Very nicely done! Even though this lens has the PF reputation, its sharp and most people who have them really like them. Your pictures show why one would like it.

So you still have poppies? There are still some around, and they are just starting to bloom at higher elevations but they are mostly over lower down. Can't decide whether I like your lady bug, #4or your first one best, but all of them are lovely. Were you using a tripod?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind comments. Poppies are drying up now due to the hot weather. The pictures were taken few weeks ago. I was hand holding for all pictures. Tripods are critical for Macros but I have not used my tripod enough to bring it along. And I am new to Macro and the series was shot when I tried it the frist time with all the 1:2 close up lens that I had. Out of the three 1:2 close up lens that I have, the Tamron is the cheapest and it works reasonably well for me.

I used AF for the series as I found the manual focus to be awkward when the Tamron lens get extended to 180mm to 300mm required for the macro/close-up range where the front is extended to a greater length making it awkward to reach for the focus ring.

Warmest regards,
Hin
Old May 17, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4

Hin, These are wonderful. You did a great job. I can hardly wait to get mine.

Now I am definitely upset, though. I ordered this lens on Tuesday. They attempted delivery yesterday, but no one was home to sign for it so they took it back to the dock. They attempted delivery again today, but I was in the shower, son was watching TV and hubbie was reading a book. None of us heard a doorbell or knock on the door. I had checked the tracking online and realized about 20 minutes after they'd delivered that we missed them.

Called the office and they said to go to the station between 4 and 6 p.m. tonight to pick it up. Well, that was a fiasco as it was a 45 minute ride to get there only to find out they are only open 8 - 10 a.m. Tuesday - Saturday. So, now I must wait until Tuesday and be a little late for work so I can pick it up. Arghhhh!!!!!! And, hopefully the guy I called from the place did in fact put it on hold to keep it there for me or It'll probably be shipped back to Beach Camera.

I wouldn't be so mad except I'd asked both my husband and son to please go downstairs and listen for the fedex guy. But, they both felt it was unnecessary. So, now I must wait yet another 3 days!:sad:

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 1:11 AM   #5

Beautiful roses so well taken, always a pleasure for the eyes.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:42 AM   #6

Patty and Rohney,

Thank you for the kind comments. The Tamron 70-300 is one of the lens that I have grown to find dependable. It is quite sharp when stopped down and it is well worth the price.

I did run into PF in couple of shots in f/5.6, but in f/8.0, I manage to do quite alright with PF

Some samples with wrong saturation set on my K10D in JPG

Regards,
Hin
Old May 19, 2008, 9:21 AM   #7

I love this lens for outdoor portraits and candids. Keep it away from obvious PF situations and it really does a good job...

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 9:57 AM   #8

I have a stupid question...What is "PF"?

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:00 AM   #9

The flower shots are truly wonderful, and just shows that you don't need a dedicated macro lens all the time.

I use a sigma 70-300 with similar results, plus you get a nice working distance from anything which bites or stings!!

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:07 AM   #10

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
I have a stupid question...What is "PF"?

Feroz
Purple Fringing: The effect you get when shooting at wide apertures in high contrast situations. It shows up as a purple area, usuallyalong the edge of the high contrast area. Here's an example (look at the windows in the right side of the pic):

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote