Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2008, 1:27 PM   #1

Just want to see what you think of the Bokeh (Out of focus areas) with this lens?

Ed

Butterfly
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2008, 1:28 PM   #2

Dragonfly
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2008, 1:28 PM   #3

Crawler
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2008, 1:29 PM   #4

Into The Trees
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2008, 2:15 PM   #5

Bokeh is very nice. I like the dragonfly and the egret best. Sometimes bokeh can be too busy and even though its out of focus it can be distracting. The dragonfly picture is pretty plain and really makes the insect stand out.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 2:20 PM   #6

The bokeh is good. But I know my A300mm has the bokeh ranging from the worst (harsh) to the smoothest (creamy and dreamy) depending on the a lot of background condition. What I am interested is your opinion as to the bad one and the good ones you are getting. A couple of sample shots does not count.

Also I am really interested in the egret in flight shot. Did you have the AF snapping into it and the focus was locked right on? What is interesting is the fact that branches nearby might very well distract the AF . By the time you correct and select the focus point the subject is gone, a very frustrating experience indeed.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 2:40 PM   #7

These examples are very good, nice to see how it handles out of focus highlights.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 2:54 PM   #8

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
The bokeh is good. But I know my A300mm has the bokeh ranging from the worst (harsh) to the smoothest (creamy and dreamy) depending on the a lot of background condition. What I am interested is your opinion as to the bad one and the good ones you are getting. A couple of sample shots does not count.

Also I am really interested in the egret in flight shot. Did you have the AF snapping into it and the focus was locked right on? What is interesting is the fact that branches nearby might very well distract the AF . By the time you correct and select the focus point the subject is gone, a very frustrating experience indeed.

Daniel
It was set to continuous focus, multipoint.

Ed
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2008, 6:48 PM   #9

Quite good AF then as with multi-point it sometimes wants to focus the wrong things. What's the good to bad ratio right now. Dawg minds want to know.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 8:07 PM   #10

Spot focus requires keeping the moving bird dead center. I find itdifficult to keep the targetin the frame, let alone dead center. I am getting about 50% in focus. I feel (not scientific) the K20D is better at focusing on the closer target in the field than the K10D was.

Also I was hunting foul and shooting skeet with my father starting when I was ten. The process of swinging a shotgun and squeezing the trigger is a good analogy to panning with a camera for BIF no jerky motions with following the bird or squezing the shutter release. All needs to be done smoothely.

Ed