Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2008, 2:11 PM   #1

I got reminded yesterday by a200user of how fortunate I am to enjoy a huge variety in birds to shoot in my yard. This morning simply confirmed it. For the first tme, I was able to get a picture of an exceptionally tiny Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher. You can tell from the pine needles just how tiny this guy is

For the first time this morning, I was able to shoot a male summer tanager. Unfortunately, the quality wasn't what I'd be willing to post, but I did get his mate, and even got her in flight.

There was a Yellow Breasted Chat

And of course plenty of cowbirds, indigo buntings, and cardinals

All was not well, however. I have identified my white whale for the summer....a particularly obnoxious pileated woodpecker. This morning, I stalked him off and on for nearly two hours, during which time he once circled behind me and did a laughing fly-by before I could shoot....then waited till I set my camera down to get ready to go in, then flew directly over me at low altitude, laughing at the top of his lungs.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2008, 3:00 PM   #2

Good work, Paul. Always enjoy your posts. Great shot of the cardinal.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 4:58 PM   #3

My wife and Iwent outfor a late lunch. When we returned, the shyness had disappeared for MR. Tanager. He was in full voice when I stepped out the back door.

Although I confused him some, he was tired of being intimidated. Seconds after this look, he decided to get rid of me by dive-bombing my head.

Old May 18, 2008, 6:11 PM   #4

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I got reminded yesterday by a200user of how fortunate I am to enjoy a huge variety in birds to shoot in my yard.* This morning simply confirmed it.* For the first tme, I was able to get a picture of an exceptionally tiny Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher.* You can tell from the pine needles just how tiny this guy is
Paul

I am green with envoy with your choice of subject. Unbelievable with the sort of quality of life

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 8:24 PM   #5

Paul, I can't believe you have so many birds outside your door. All I've seen around here are robins. These are all so colorful.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 9:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments, guys. I guess I've always taken for granted a high degree of diversity, although I have to admit I have been surprised since I have been watching closely. Out of curiosity, I went to my "Birds" directory on my hard drive and did a species count, counting only those that I have photographed in my yard and the edges of the woods around it. I came up with a total of 47 species that I have shot since I began bird photography a little over a year ago. 17 are year-round residents, 10 of those so common as to be "everyday" occurrences. 17 species I've photographed are warm-weather residents only with 7 making the "everyday" list. Finally, 13 species are cold-weather birds with 6 making the "common."

The ones you see every time you step out of the door are Cardinals, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Chickadees, American Crows, and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers. In summer they're joined by the Eastern Phoebe and Indigo Bunting. In winter, the everyday guys are the American Goldfinches and White-Throated Sparrows, and you can't walk out the back door in winter without tripping on a Dark-Eyed Junco.

Paul
Old May 18, 2008, 9:55 PM   #7

You have more there than me Paul! When you get that big woody post it so I can at least celebrate someone elses fortune...I've yet to get one and they don't seem to like me!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote