Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1

I overdid the noise reduction while doing PP on this pic of my wife. I really liked the effect, so I decided to keep it rather than hit the undo button:

In fact, I liked it so much that I took it a step further in the is one. It almost looks like a painting was done over the photo:

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2

I like it! Particularly the first one which doesn't look as "airbrushed" as the second one, although that one does have an artistic appeal.

What noise reduction software did you use, and what where the settings?

As my wife and I approach our 60th birthdays I think we would like to see if noise reduction has the by-product ofremoving the wrinkles.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I like it! Particularly the first one which doesn't look as "airbrushed" as the second one, although that one does have an artistic appeal.

What noise reduction software did you use, and what where the settings?

As my wife and I approach our 60th birthdays I think we would like to see if noise reduction has the by-product ofremoving the wrinkles.

Jim
It's NR a plugin for GIMP called GREYCstoration.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4

I like the first one because of the expression on your wifes face. Total enjoyment of the beach. The second one is kinda neat because it does look like a painting.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 9:17 PM   #5

Overdoing noise reduction can actually be a plus in some portraits because it de-emphasizes skin imperfections so, used carefully in the right kind of images you may get something that is more flattering to your subject. In these examples I like the first image but I think the second is acceptable as an art piece (because of the "painterly" look) but would probably not be accepted as a photographic portrait. I guess what I am saying is that it is a method of self expression that appeals to personal taste (as, indeed, all art does).

Great work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 4:21 AM   #6

The first one is impressive . But I certainly would not like the wax treatment of the 2nd.

That only remind me about whatever I saw in a wax museum.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 7:26 AM   #7

I agree about the 2nd photo being more of an artistic piece than an actual photograph. I'd say it crossed the line....oh, about the 3rd time I hit the re-do button on the NR.

It may come in handy though. I know some people who would love to see themselves "posterized". :lol: