Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2008, 7:46 PM   #1

Interesting review. Rate K20D with better resolution detail, and high ISO performance than the competition while using a DA18-250mm lens against more standard zooms on the other brands.

Rated the K20D below others in live view, anti shake, continuous shooting, price, and screen size

I guess my higher value on picture quality is really off base.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pentax_K20D/

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 8:05 PM   #2
Administrator

I can't figure out why they'd compare it against entry level Canon and Sony models (when the price is roughly the same as the advanced amateur models like the Canon EOS-40D and Sony A700), unless they were just going for comparisons with models that have the closest resolution sensor.

In any event, IQ looks good wearing that 18-250mm from what I can see of the samples.

If you haven't seen it yet, make sure to see our review (posted this afternoon):

Pentax K20D

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3

Thanks to both Ed and Jim forposting the reviews. Certainly different points of view! I think Steve's review is very fairand tracks what my experience has been with this camera. After reading through the cameralabs review, I was rather surprised that it wasn't written by CNET or one of the other primarily computer websites that will review digital cameras. Their emphasis isn't on things photographic and so a true photographer's camera might take a back seat to one filled with advanced technology features (that may or may not be important to an advanced photographer). That's just a different point of view and reflects someone's different requirements. I don't disagree that the live view has its limitations. But then, I found out how much I hated using the LCD to shoot when I had a Sony F717, 4 years ago. The tilting/swivel screen on the Panny FZ30 wasn't much better - I still couldn't see it well in bright sunlight. For that matter, I have trouble seeing my 4 month old cell phone or my older GPS in many lighting conditions, too.

What impressed me was the samples in both reviews. Bottom line is how good do the pictures look, and they look very good in both reviews (and while cameralabs suggested that the Pentax wasn't as "good" as one of the other cameras in one of their test photos, I thought its pictures were clearly better - or at least more like what I look for in my pictures, in that test. Best thing to do is look at them yourself to judge, rather than just reading the reviewer's opinion).

The sample pictures in Steve's review taken with the DA*200 make me really want this lens - the OOF foreground in the first bird picture is about as difficult as you can get and the lens handled it better than I would have expected from my A300 (I know, apples and oranges). And the egret is awesome - you can almost feel the feathers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4

at last some reviews yippeeee

i have been patiently waiting to read some

i will read them when i get home

its back to work for now

sigh
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the review, I am saving,

Interesting quote I found by a user on another forum about the LiveView -

Quote:
Aside from that though, I still prefer the Pentax ergonomics and design ethos. Infact I even like the K20D live view which I find handy for framing down below the knees or high up over head. I can hold the camera one handed, turn on live view, frame, shoot and turn if off again all while holding a beer or cigarette in the other hand. And thats what I mean about ergonomics being important as opposed to other cameras where you need to dig through menu options just to enable the live view feature.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 9:56 AM   #6

I've thought some more about what I think of the reviews, and came up with an appropriate analogy.

Several years ago I went looking for an SUV. I wanted an off-roader that had reasonable highway manners for my hubby and myself (we don't have kids). I read lots of car reviews about SUVs. Those reviewers were more interested in rating the vehicles as people movers, so they gave extra points to those models that offered a third row seating - something I didn't want and certainly didn't want to pay for. Their top picks had leather seats and no trail capability. I ended up buying a vehicle that often wasn't even reviewed in it's class, and when it was, it was usually at the bottom of the list. My Jeep Wrangler might not be the best people mover, but it's very nice on trails, even when it's stock.

My point is that some reviewers get caught up with one aspect of something, and ignore other points of view sometimes. If you're primarily interested in luxuriously moving people, don't get a Wrangler. But don't say the Wrangler is a less-than vehicle because it doesn't offer a third row seat. So while I agree that the live view on the K20 isn't aswell doneas on those cameras that use a separate sensor for the LCD, it has a better viewfinder, and in at least one case, took better pictures. I think this makes the K20 a different camera, not a less-than camera, which is what is implied in the cameralabs review.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Live View is an interesting feature now.

But, I consider it to be more of a "gimmick" on most current dSLR models with it (and I have tried a few). It's just too slow and cumbersome with most, especially since you don't even have a tilting LCD with most models yet (although it does have some benefits like 100% frame coverage, etc.).

IOW, it's more of a "me too" type of feature from my perspective (if one manufacturer has it, the rest are probably going to jump on board, especially since some users upgrading from a point and shoot model like the idea of having live view). It's definitely not for moving subjects with most current implementations (with limited use for macros, shooting from the waist or overhead, etc., because the LCDs can't tilt).

About the only current dSLR model I'd want to use it with would be the Sony A300 (not the A350, which I think is pushing it a bit for Sony's sensor technology, especially with a lower quality lens, since the higher resolution sensor is going to place more demands on a lens). But, as you say, the Sony models with Live View have a smaller viewfinder to make room for the live view sensor. So, having it is a tradeoff.

But, at the market niche the K20D is aimed at, I wouldn't expect most shooters to care that much about it one way or the other (since they're probably accustomed to an Optical Viewfinder). The Image Quality and features would be more important to me. As the technology advances, I may change my mind though. It does come in handy for better candids. For example, I used to get better candids shooting from the waist with a tilt camera design like the older Coolpix models, since some people will shy away or pose if they see you pointing a camera at them), and it can come in handy shooting from a crowd (so you can shoot with the camera overhead).

Old May 20, 2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Administrator

P.S.

The K200D review was just posted:

Pentax K200D

Old May 22, 2008, 3:01 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I can't figure out why they'd compare it against entry level Canon and Sony models (when the price is roughly the same as the advanced amateur models like the Canon EOS-40D and Sony A700), unless they were just going for comparisons with models that have the closest resolution sensor
Perhaps, it's just to make it appear less attractive to the competition. It's looks an excellent camera let down by it's high price.

Having looked at the K200, I'm pleased that I didn't wait having bought the K10 which offers far more for much less bucks.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote