Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11

Tom, Kjell, Rodney , Glenn, Harriet

Thanks for the compliment. Just uploaded a couple of images . More like bokeh generating exercise I would say. The hit spot for pumping out the bokeh that I like is somewhere between F3.2 to F3.5

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:10 PM   #12

Went this afternoon for the Luminato event in Toronto. Lighting was just too much .
I did not have the hood on. That is something that i hate to use

I should try tonight if the lighting is more interesting like what Tom (TDN) did. The above shots seem ok as far as pf or flare resistance are concerned

Daniel
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:04 PM   #13

You are not helping my case of LBA at all! These are really nice, and I do like the bokeh on them. The last ones are pretty good, considering the lighting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:50 AM   #14

A big obstacle when shooting stage pictures is the mess around and behind the artist. Cables, microphone stands, amplifiers... I think you found a good formula to work around it, a long lens and small DOF.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:03 AM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
A big obstacle when shooting stage pictures is the mess around and behind the artist. Cables, microphone stands, amplifiers... I think you found a good formula to work around it, a long lens and small DOF.

Kjell
Harriet, Kjell
Thanks for the input

This image with some distraction cropped out

About using longer lens to get rid of distraction, the A300mm is even more effective. This one was taken 2 yrs ago

I agree that the subject is not quite interesting though

Daniel
Old May 3, 2010, 4:16 AM   #16

Might as well revive this old thread as this happens to my main portrait lens. Took a couple of wide open shots this weekend with DA200mm. Outdoor with fill flash

Daniel
Old May 3, 2010, 9:15 AM   #17
Super Moderator

very nice. the long lens is very flattering and gives great isolation, it also helps soften the fill. really nice, don't see enough long prime portraits around here.

i was just tellin mark the other day i wanted to get a 135 2L or 200 2.8L for this very reason. this is not helping my LBA
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:43 AM   #18

Daniel - I've always been very grateful you posted all these lovely pictures taken with the DA*200. I don't think I would have seriously considered it without them, and it has become one of my two very favorite lenses. It can do so much - portrait, landscape, close-up (not macro) and it has an almost 3D look to the pictures sometimes. Glad to see you are still using it and still taking pictures of beautiful girls with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 12:15 PM   #19

This is definitely high on my list of lenses to own.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 3, 2010, 4:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Daniel - I've always been very grateful you posted all these lovely pictures taken with the DA*200. I don't think I would have seriously considered it without them, and it has become one of my two very favorite lenses. It can do so much - portrait, landscape, close-up (not macro) and it has an almost 3D look to the pictures sometimes. Glad to see you are still using it and still taking pictures of beautiful girls with it.

Ira and Harriet

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice. the long lens is very flattering and gives great isolation, it also helps soften the fill. really nice, don't see enough long prime portraits around here.

i was just tellin mark the other day i wanted to get a 135 2L or 200 2.8L for this very reason. this is not helping my LBA

I am a bird shooter (around 300mm only) So wielding longer lens for portrait does not intimidate me

This was given some minor pp work which is really not my cup of tea

Daniel