Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1

Sorry if this post should have been in the lens posting but ....

Myquestion to the Pentax brain trust. My mother in law loves to paint and has topically gone into the wild to paint live. Her broken hip has stopped the trips so she asked me to take pictures she can paint.

That said, I was trying to figure out what lens size and exposure to best capture what the eye sees. I know you cannot have it exact but wasinterested in your opinions.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Do you have the kit lens? If so, go out some place and look out at a scene with one eye, then look through the viewfinder with the other eye. Adjust the zoom until what you see looks the same as what you see with the other eye - that's pretty close. I thought it seemed to be "normal" at around 40mm. By the way, if you hear or see people talking about "normal" lenses - they are usually talking about ones that match what you see. In 35mm film days the 50mm was considered normal, which would be around 35mm in Pentax dSLRs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3

Harriet is right about the lenses and her solution to adjust the zoom so the sizeis correct is a pretty good idea. Probably the best way to see what works is to start taking pictures at all different focal lengths and see what your mother in lawlikes best. Maybe you could even try some panoramas?

glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4

Between the 31mm and 40mm focal lengths. Then compare the photo to what you are seeing. Much as the above posts recommended!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 6:32 PM   #5

Since viewfinder magnification is not actually 1:1 but more like 0.95 on a K10/20D, it muddies the issue somewhat. Generally the rule of thumb is that if the focal length is equal to the diagonal length of the film or sensor it will give an image that is like our eye sees. Shorter or longer focal lengths will change that perspective (if we move to match the main subjects image size that is).

Clear as mud isn't it?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 9:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the posts.

Sometimes the most obvious solution is right in front of me but I make it to complicated.

Look through the lens (understanding the magnification issue) and compare what you see to what you see not looking through the lens.

Maybe I should go back to school and get some common sense back

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7

Actually, the only reason I knew about the trick with looking out at a scene with one eye and looking through the viewfinder is because I read it in a post here. At the time I didn't think you could physically do that, so I tried it. Low and behold, it worked perfectly. So you have more common sense than I did - you at least accept what I posted, rather than having your first reaction being "you can't do that!"
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote