Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2008, 1:01 PM   #1

From time to time we have a few local bands putting on a little show - 3-4 bands, 1 set each. Couple of quid for a ticket, and 2 hours of music - just pick the right line-up!

I went last night to such an event, mainly because my step niece has just started as the groups lead singer (well you have to show support), but also because I know the guys in the band - my step-son used to play bass with them.

Lighting was awful - 1 (yes 1) spotlight above the band, and a few houselights. Great fun trying to meter.... Using the 50-200mm kit lens didn't help, but the fast AF glass is still on the wishlist.

Pushed the Auto ISO to 1600, popped up the flash and did what I could. I also use slow-sync and rear curtain for a few moving shots.

All in all a great night out.

Total respect to everyone who shoots gigs on a regular basis. Not as easy as it looks.

Dal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

A sample - the rest are on my Flickr page, with some of the punk band who played first.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 3:11 PM   #2

I do like the drummer! Well done - I've never had the opportunity to try this, but think that I'd get really frustrated. The fish were hard enough and they were moving a whole lot slower than a band does.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 6:34 PM   #3

Had a go at editing the last pic

A lot comes down to how much time is spent editing.

The shots posted are all jpg straight from camera.

**I DO NOT NEED A K20D!!** LOL

Dal
Old May 29, 2008, 8:28 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I too like the one of the drummer. I've tried to do what you have succeeded in: i.e. capture the motion of the drum stick while the rest of the drummer remains fixed. The results have been dismal! Pray tell what your secret is:roll:

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 9:06 PM   #5

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I too like the one of the drummer. I've tried to do what you have succeeded in: i.e. capture the motion of the drum stick while the rest of the drummer remains fixed. The results have been dismal! Pray tell what your secret is:roll:

Jay
Thanks Jay

I found that using either slow-sync or second curtain sync really works well. As the light is almost non-existant, you get shutter speeds below 1/30 and even the guitarist will blur.

A few shots from the punk band -

This is what I started with

That was the lighting all night (I suppose that at least it was fixed...)

Playing around with metering, flash etc gave this

Slow-sync or rear curtain (I forget which, as I was swapping about so much)

I found that sometimes the movement was too much, but it is really the way to go if you want to show movement.

Dal
Old May 29, 2008, 9:11 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I do like the drummer! Well done - I've never had the opportunity to try this, but think that I'd get really frustrated. The fish were hard enough and they were moving a whole lot slower than a band does.
Thanks for the comment.

Strange to think (for me anyway) that only 2 years ago, the drummer was so shy that he didn't want to play to a live audience, and sat there very woodenly.

Now though, he is total control of his area, and even played guitar on the first number.

Great to see the kids growing up and maturing.

As for fish - I rarely have any luck at all getting a decent shot.

Dal

Old May 29, 2008, 11:30 PM   #7

All very
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 11:48 PM   #8

Thanks for posting the second set of photos - those are really interesting from a technical point of view, and good examples for what different effects you can get (since I'm so clueless about this type of photography). That last one is really cool.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 2:20 AM   #9

Thanks for looking and commenting.

One of the bands have used several of my shots on their myspace page, and given me full credit as well.

Dal