Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2008, 4:26 PM   #1

Tried wireless for first time. Both flash instructions and camera instructions say it will work as slave to on board flash (In normal and High Speed Modes).

I turned on flash to wireless, set to channel 1, put flash on camera and pressed shutter release half way to set to same channel.

When I removed flash and tried using as slave it will not fire. Does it still need to be in a flash shoe?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:50 PM   #2

Hi Ed,

The only thing I didn't see in your post is that you set the camera up for wireless in the Fn Menu.

This was my mistake the first time I tried it. -- had me going for quite a while.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:21 PM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ed,

The only thing I didn't see in your post is that you set the camera up for wireless in the Fn Menu.

This was my mistake the first time I tried it. -- had me going for quite a while.

Scott
Bingo! That is what I missed.

Thanks for the help Scott.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:13 PM   #4

It's also the thing I forget about - Imostly usethe flash off-camera but every so often I'll pop up the on-camera flash onlyfor a quick shot. Half the time the camera is set for wireless and using the on-camera flash as a control flash so I'll end up with a black frame. I'm slowly learning to check all flash pictures, and preferably check the Fn menu before snapping the picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:11 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

In checking the operational features of the K20D, I was testing out the wireless flash capability with the Sigma 500DG Super. Everything appears to work OK (i.e. exposures are OK). A question (actually several) though:

Does the pop-up flash have to operate in order to trigger the remote flash? Or in other words, is it possible to use the wireless funtion to trigger the off camera flash without the use of the pop up flash? I could not get it to work in this manner. Does thismean that the P-TTL info is being transmitted wirelessly, but the off camera flash is triggered as a slave by the light from the pop-up flash?

The main disadvantage off thisarrangement appears to bethat one has to place the off camera flash within a line of sight of the pop up flash for it to fire.

In reading the manual for the K20D as well as the flash, it appeared to me that the only way to use a remote flash without the pop-up flash is via an off camera cord arrangement.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:40 AM   #6

Yep, you are right. The pop-up flash is what controls the wireless flash - there are a series of flashes before the picture is taken (very quick) where the camera, through the on-camera flash, communicates with the off-camera wireless flash to set exposure. It does need to be pretty much line of sight, though I've managed to get it to work properly when the sensor on the flash unit is behind the camera, or partly blocked by an object. I've also had it where there's been too much ambient light and even though the flash unit wasn't more than a few feet from the camera, and definitely line of sight, it wouldn't work because there was too much sunlight (taking pictures in the botanical gardens). The only way around this is to use a cord (remember that the K20 has an X-Sinc socket, something that I haven't yet researched much about. I know that it can control studio (so I assume strobe)lights, but can you get just a cord that will go from the K20's socket to a flash gun like the 360 or 540? That would be very nice to do, instead of getting the hot shoe mount, cord etc. that were required for the previous Pentax cameras. As you can tell, I'm no expert on flash photography and studio lighting!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:29 AM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
In checking the operational features of the K20D, I was testing out the wireless flash capability with the Sigma 500DG Super.¬* Everything appears to work OK (i.e. exposures are OK).¬* A question¬* (actually several) though:

Does the pop-up flash have to operate in order to trigger the remote flash? Or in other words, is it possible to use the wireless funtion to trigger the off camera flash without the use of the pop up flash?¬* I could not get it to work in this manner.¬* Does this¬*mean that the P-TTL info is being transmitted wirelessly, but the off camera flash is triggered as a slave by the light from the pop-up flash?

The main disadvantage off¬* this¬*arrangement appears to be¬*that one has to place the off camera flash within a line of sight of the pop up flash for it to fire.

In reading the manual for the K20D as well as the flash, it appeared to me that the only way to use a remote flash without the pop-up flash is via an off camera cord arrangement.
Hi Jay,

The popup flash must fire to trigger the remote flash, but the popup doesn't have to contribute to the exposure. If you set the popup as "Master", it contributes to the exposure, but if you set it to "Controller", it doesn't fire during the exposure, with the remote doing all the lighting.

As Harriet said, the body communicates with the remote via a very quick series of flashes before the exposure, so line of sight is necessary, and too much ambient light will cause some problems.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:46 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
¬* The only way around this is to use a cord (remember that the K20 has an X-Sinc socket, something that I haven't yet researched much about.¬* I know that it can control studio (so I assume strobe)¬*lights, but can you get just a cord that will go from the K20's socket to a flash gun like the 360 or 540?¬* That would be very nice to do, instead of getting the hot shoe mount, cord etc. that were required for the previous Pentax cameras.¬* As you can tell, I'm no expert on flash photography and studio lighting!
Hi Harriet,

I haven't used this yet either, but remember that the synch port will not allow TTL metering -- any flash connected through it will have to be set manually, and you 'd have to have a synch to hotshoe adapter to attach the flash since none of the P-TTL flashes that I know of has a synch port (maybe the Metz ones do ( ? )). That's the beauty of wireless P-TTL, that it will allow the body to do exposure metering through the lens. You could set your 540 to "Auto" mode to get some automation, but you'd have to set ISO and aperture on the body to match the settings of the flash.

Sc
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

Hi Jay,

The popup flash must fire to trigger the remote flash, but the popup doesn't have to contribute to the exposure. If you set the popup as "Master", it contributes to the exposure, but if you set it to "Controller", it doesn't fire during the exposure, with the remote doing all the lighting.

As Harriet said, the body communicates with the remote via a very quick series of flashes before the exposure, so line of sight is necessary, and too much ambient light will cause some problems.
Scott,

On my set-up, when I set the pop-up flash to "controller" , it still fired together with exernal flash. I read about the rapid exchange of flashes bewtween the two flashes, but is this something that is visible? When I tried itI could not tell if there was a rapid exchange of flash bursts. In fact, it looked like a single flash! Perhaps this function only works with the Pentax flashes vs. my Sigma 500 DG Super. I was under the impression that wireless flash meant wireless flash as opposed to an optical slave with wireless transmission of the P-TTL. Oh the joys of technology! Life was a lot simpler with the old Thyristor units:-)

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:39 PM   #10

I can sometimes see the exchange if I'm not looking through the viewfinder, but most often not. I have the 540, so can't answer about how the Sigma flash works. I usually only know what's going on from the results.

P.S. Thanks for the information about the flashes, Scott. I figured it wouldn't be so easy. I still might look into doing it because there's times I want to use off-camera flash where there's either too much ambient light or (like my silhouette experiments) I want back-lighting or light where the flash's sensor is blocked from the camera - just got to decide whether it is worth the cost and the research/aggrevation to figure it out. Just getting a synch cord sounded pretty easy and not expensive. Too bad it wouldn't work that way.