Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:57 AM   #1
TDN

[align=center]I got a great deal on this lens and a KA-adaptall mount a few weeks back. It was offered cheap because the tripod ring is missing.

I tried it out at some concerts and...it does what I expected it to do perfectly

Wide open it's acceptable in sharpness, but stopped down to just f3.5 it becomes nice and sharp at all focal lengths!

some examples:

Liquido, both at 200mm / f2.8

Zornik, a Belgian band. +/- 200mm / f3.5

Nailpin, another Belgian Band. +/- 135mm / f2.8

The lens is just excellent for those closeups I could never get with my 28-70mm f2.8.

So basicly: I'm a happy camper

Tom
[/align]

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:29 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

A+ shots here. Great sharpness and great exposures! How close were you to the subjects?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:18 AM   #3

TDN wrote:
Quote:

Liquido, both at 200mm / f2.8

Tom
Tom,

Great shots part. the first one
This type of image is exactly what I have in mind for my DA*200mm at 200mm . Just the right distance and aperture as well. The lighting and the bokeh would be easy to handle.
Tamron adaptall lens is now not quite affordable after you factor in in price of the lens and that pka adapter. But it is worth it.
Does the SR recognise the zooming FL? Or you have to manually adjust the SR FL? Likely not a huge deal anyway. Job well done

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:49 AM   #4
TDN

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
A+ shots here. Great sharpness and great exposures! How close were you to the subjects?
Thanks! I was in the frontstage, a press-pass has its advantages

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Tom,

Great shots part. the first one
This type of image is exactly what I have in mind for my DA*200mm at 200mm . Just the right distance and aperture as well. The lighting and the bokeh would be easy to handle.
Tamron adaptall lens is now not quite affordable after you factor in in price of the lens and that pka adapter. But it is worth it.
Does the SR recognise the zooming FL? Or you have to manually adjust the SR FL? Likely not a huge deal anyway. Job well done

Daniel
Thanks Daniel.

I don't think the SR would recognize the zooming factor of a push-pull lens.
Doesnt matter, because I was using the *ist DL, so no SR available.

The prices on ebay for these have been going up pretty high indeed. Especially with the PKA adapter.
I got it for 270USD, adapter included. Haven't regretted it one bit

The lens is huge. With the hood attached it doesn't even fit in my bag, so I use it without.
It's also heavy, but the quality is just amazing. This thing is a tank.
For me it's still handholdable, although I think people with small hands might have trouble with it, especially without SR.

If you get a good deal for it (I'd say around 300$), I would definitly recommend it.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:26 PM   #5

Amazing shots, especially without SR and a heavy lens.
hinioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:49 PM   #6

Tom, you're good at street candids, but you're gooooood at concert shooting.

In my little town we have an indiepop festival, which is growing from year to year and from now is one of the nationally talked-abouts. Most of my students were there instead of in school last Thursday/Friday. Ooooh, wasit itching to go with them to do some photography instead of going to work and a nearly empty classroom????

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:00 PM   #7

Very nice shots Tom, concert photos are certainly a specialty of yours. I am taking my wife and daughter to my first real concert in 16 years this September (Nightwish and Sonata Arctica, both Finnish bands I believe). I already checked and "No Cameras Allowed," though.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:06 PM   #8

Awesome pictures! Looks like a good buy for you, in spite of its extra weight and length. Amazing that you can hand-hold it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:23 PM   #9

Great stuff Tom. #1 is nice because of the pose, but I also likecolors in the shotswith the blue background and naturaltones of the performers. Nice equipment and nice photography.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote