Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:56 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Any first hand experience with generic DL 150 batteries used on the K10D/K20D? B&H sells the Impact brand for $19.99 compared the the Pentax at $49.99. Is it worth saving $30 or will I be doing this: ?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2

i bought the b&h impact batteries. at first they worked just as well as the pentax batteries, but after using them for a year they don't hold their charge as well as my genuine pentax batteries although the amount of discharge is pretty negligible. after a month of non-use, i'll throw them on the charger for 5-15 minutes to top the charge off. slight advantage to more shots per battery go to the genuine pentax batteries, perhaps to the slower discharge rate. but i still think you'd definitely be better off with 5 of the generic batteries compared to 2 of the genuine pentax batteries for roughly the same price.

adorama sells the same battery for $16.95 (search for np400). advertised as 1500mah, but the ones they sent me were labeled as 1700mah. at least that was my experience.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:15 AM   #3

Hi,

Has anyone tried ones from sterlingtek? On the Canons they were one of the best ones. Check to see if CTA has one for the Pentax. They were very good.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:52 AM   #4

I have the Impact batteries from B&H as well.

I use the Pentax batteries as primaries and the Impact as back up. they will usually keep my camera in play until I can get the Pentax batteries recharged.

I really don't know how long the generics will last as I have never used them to their limit. Unlike NiCad's, you can charge them at anytime and don't need to wait until they are completely run down.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:58 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

From the response above, it appears that the only concern expressed has been on battery life between charges as well as total lifespan.

However, does anyone have concerns about consistency of the voltage (in order to prevent damage to the sensitive electronics in a DSLR), or perhaps the risk of spontaneous combustion which has been known to happen in some Li-Ion batteries (in laptops)--reason for the FAA restrictions on carrying them in checked luggage.

As I mentioned at the begining of this conversation, I wonder if saving $25-$30 on a spare battery is worth it in comparison to the cost of the the camera and the peace of mind...I think I just answered my own question!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:02 AM   #6

Hi,

You might also look into the ones that the Minota uses. It is supposed to be the same battery.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:39 PM   #7

My impression has been that the Impact does not last as long as the Pentax, despite its marked rating, although it performs adequately until it runs out. I have not noticed that the slightly lower ratedMinolta NP400sare particularly short lived, either, and they perform as well. B&H had the Minoltas at a ridiculously low close-out price, while the identical Sony branded battery is much costlier.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote